Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > New York Ripper

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2011, 12:08 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

There was an error with the original press for the New York Ripper release as the box both incorrectly stated the running time and the amount that had been cut by the BBFC as the BBFC website said there was more cut from the film than was actually the case.

I've just checked the DVD and the running time is 1:27:08, or 87:08 but I'm not sure what that works out if you take into account the PAL speed up. I'd wait something official from Sarah.
Old 6th February 2011, 09:31 PM
Active Cultist

87:08 in PAL = 90:51 in NTSC and 90:46 in Film. The film's original runtime, according to IMDb, is 91 minutes (which explains the 15 seconds missing from Shameless #1 when converted to film time), but it also lists a 93 minute director's cut. Never heard of that one...
Old 8th February 2011, 02:01 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Shameless and I both apologise for the delay in getting this info out. Shameless have been excruciatingly busy trying to organise their amazing 2011 release slate and have only just had time to sit down and document this info for me.

I, on the other hand, don't want to open my big gob and put my foot right in it by giving out half-baked info so I'm sure you can all understand my wanting to wait.

Righty, so, the 15 secs of footage not in the BU release?

This is the scene of the Professor alone, in pensive mood, outside the hospital (Mount Sinai Hospital, fact fans!) after he’s left the cop who has driven off in brown car. This then cuts to an exterior night scene showing a hotel sign. This sequence does include a freeze frame, as per the original theatrical release, but it isn't "just" a freeze frame, if you follow me.

Why a freeze frame at all? We can't be sure but Shameless thinks it's to do with the way Italian films used to be shown in Italian cinemas. Shameless think that this is the scene which linked the Fine Primo Tempo (end of 1st half) - and this was printed on the projection print - and Inizio Secondo Tempo (start 2nd half) which is the way ALL Italian films used to be shown in cinemas – and indeed it is more or less half-way through the film. This would also explain why that (otherwise innocuous) scene was cut: it may be that materials were being exported with the writing above which made no sense to countries outside Italy. Most have cut it and some other releases have inserted that scene in the wrong place.

Of course, we could be wrong on this, but Shameless think this could be why this little scene has been all over the place, or not in at all, in various releases over the years.

In addition to this extra scene, both the end credits and soundtrack now run a bit longer, because both music and sound ended abruptly before.

As for the other 3 minutes of footage that aren't in the previous Shameless release? Well, you want some surprises for when you watch the film, don't you? I'm not going to detail everything but I can confirm that this additional 3 minutes is not framerate difference. Shameless would never cheat their fans by quantifying framerate timing and describing it as a longer version. This is a whole 3 minutes of extra footage not in the earlier Shameless release. The new HD master has several scenes that have a few seconds more each, which generally enriches the viewing experience, allowing you to see it as near to how it was originally intended as is possible in the UK.

So, does this answer your questions?

Last edited by Sarah@Cult Labs; 9th February 2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 8th February 2011, 04:50 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Fantastic news Sarah - thanks for the update.

Really looking forward to 'cross-examining' this release to determine the extra 3 minutes of footage. The freeze-frame sounds intriguing, but I hope it doesn't disrupt the flow of the film!
Old 8th February 2011, 05:14 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Thanks for providing the information and it will be really interesting to go through the Blue Underground Blu-Ray and then the Shameless one to see the longer scenes and where the one you described is situated there.
Old 8th February 2011, 07:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I gather some of the extra footage is of Malco character talking to his secretary?
Old 20th February 2011, 09:39 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Even though I already own two copies of this on DVD and the Blue Underground BD, this is still a definite pre-order for me for the extra footage (all 15 seconds of it) and these new extra features.
Me too and i own both the BU DVD and BR, the old ABUS release, the similarly ancient ISV edition and the acclaimed AWE DVD.
Old 2nd April 2011, 03:13 AM
Cult Rookie

I would definetly get the blu-ray version if it came in a yellow case!
Old 2nd April 2011, 10:28 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbie View Post
I would definetly get the blu-ray version if it came in a yellow case!
It does, and very swanky it looks too! Instead of the Blu-ray logo at the top, it has Shameless Screen Entertainment so should really stand out on your shelf. If you look back a few pages, there are several photos from Sarah's spy in Austria!
Old 2nd April 2011, 10:32 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Plus dvdaf now have the packaging up for all to see:

Looking good.

Like this? Share it using the links below!