Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2010
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th August 2010, 09:35 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Weekly Comp - Elvis - 08/08/2010 - FINISHED

KURT RUSSELL IN A CAREER-DEFINING, EMMY AWARD NOMINATED PERFORMANCE AS THE KING OF ROCK ‘N’ ROLL.

Just two years after Elvis Presley died, actor Kurt Russell and director John Carpenter brought him back to life in what has since become the definitive biopic of the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll. Rarely seen in the UK since its 1979 edited theatrical release, a little seen VHS version and subsequent but infrequent TV broadcasts, John Carpenter’s Elvis now comes to DVD and Blu-ray for the first time, presented in its complete, unedited 168-minute version restored from the original film elements.

In a career-defining performance that many consider to be the finest movie portrayal of The King to date, Kurt Russell (who was nominated for the Outstanding Lead Actor Emmy for his role) stars in the title role in a movie that would mark the first of his now legendary five collaborations with Carpenter (Escape From New York; The Thing; Big Trouble In Little China; Escape From LA).

Tracing Elvis’ life from 1945 – when, as a ten-year-old boy living in Tupelo, Mississippi, he received his first guitar – to 1969 and his triumphant return to the stage at the International Hotel in Las Vegas (his first public shows in nearly ten years), Elvis lovingly and faithfully recreates the key moments in the King’s life, from his meteoric rise to fame, his time in the army, his mother’s untimely death and his fateful meeting with Priscilla Beaulieu to his ill-advised movie career, the birth of his daughter, Lisa Marie, and his incredible comeback.

Something of a family affair as movies go, Elvis co-stars Russell’s real-life father Bing Russell (The Magnificent Seven) as Elvis’ father, Vernon Presley, and Russell’s real-life wife, actress Season Hubley (Escape From New York) as Priscilla Beaulieu Presley. Rounding out the star-studded cast are two-time Oscar winner Shelley Winters (A Patch Of Blue; The Diary Of Anne Frank), Pat Hingle (Commissioner Gordon in the Batman movies) as Colonel Tom Parker, Ed Begley Jr (Pineapple Express) as drummer DJ Fontana, Charles Cyphers (Escape From New York; The Fog; Halloween II) as Sam Phillips, Ellen Travolta (Charles In Charge) as Marion Keisker, Joe Mantegna (Criminal Minds) as “Memphis Mafia” member Joe Esposito and Melody Anderson (Dead And Buried; Flash Gordon) as Elvis’ high school sweetheart.

A rare, non-genre movie from the ‘Master of Horror’ and a surprisingly heartfelt and moving portrayal of a remarkable life, Elvis is essential viewing for fans of John Carpenter, Kurt Russell and, of course, Elvis Presley.

Elvis (cert. U) will be released on DVD (£15.99) and Blu-ray (£19.99) by Fremantle Home Entertainment on 16th August 2010. Special Features include: audio commentary by Ronnie McDowell (Elvis’ singing voice) and Edie Hand (Elvis’ cousin); ‘Bringing A Legend To Life’ (original 1979 ‘making of’ featurette; rare clips from American Bandstand – Elvis Day (4th July 1964); photo gallery; song selection; scene selection.

(Thank you. Thank you, very much!)
Old 6th August 2010, 09:53 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Young Kyle ain't here this week folks,so the three stooges are running the show!

Myself,Stvevoj and Nosferatu!

So how do you go about winning this wonderful prize?

Simple.

Below is a picture of the king himself.

Funniest captions win the prize!

Good luck all!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Last edited by iluvdvds@Cult Labs; 6th August 2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 7th August 2010, 12:33 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Funniest captions go through to the final to be argued over by your judges,who are;

1.STEPHEN COWELL
2.NOSFERATU HOLDEN
3.SUBO REAPER

-X----X----X

Attached Thumbnails
Weekly Comp - Elvis - 08/08/2010 - FINISHED-stephen-cowell.jpg   Weekly Comp - Elvis - 08/08/2010 - FINISHED-nosferatu-holden.jpg   Weekly Comp - Elvis - 08/08/2010 - FINISHED-subo-reaper.jpg  

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 7th August 2010, 11:53 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The funniest three captions will win the goodies!

As far as I know,choice of DVD or Blu Ray.

(To be confirmed later.)

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Last edited by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs; 8th August 2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 8th August 2010, 09:42 AM
Cultist

"Yeeaaaahhhhhhooooohhhhhhhhhhh-ooh... oh.. pooped 'em."
Old 8th August 2010, 10:42 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Good start Sec!

Old 8th August 2010, 11:25 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Good luck Everyone! You have The three stooges running the competition this week. . We'll try to do Kyle proud.
Old 8th August 2010, 12:29 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Holy crap this jumpsuit is tight!!!
Old 8th August 2010, 12:32 PM
Seasoned Cultist

With my eyes closed, I won't laugh at that guy's bald head
Old 8th August 2010, 12:34 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I shouldn't have eaten those last 4 burgers

Like this? Share it using the links below!