Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2010

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th October 2010, 11:00 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Weekly Comp - Not Like Others - 24/10/10 - FINISHED

One more week 'till Hallowe'en! Horray! To celebrate this I'm giving away three dvds of a great new Vampire film that's in the same vein as Let The Right One In. Yep, it's none other than:

Not Like Others

Label: Chelsea Films
Release date: 25th October 2010
Release type: DVD
Certificate: 15
Running time: 78 mins

Pricing: £12.99 (DVD)
Genre: Horror
Director: Peter Pontikis
Stars: Jenny Lampa, Ruth Vega Fernandez, David Dencik, Omid Khansari

“SIMILAR IN EXECUTION TO ‘LET THE RIGHT ONE IN’… HEAVY ON REALISM AND BIG ON IDEAS.” – QUIET EARTH.

Fans of movies such as ‘Martin’, The Hunger’ and ‘Let The Right One In’ looking for their next bloody fix of intelligent and ‘realist’ vampire fare need look no further than Not Like Others, the accomplished debut feature from writer-director Peter Pontikis and starring Jenny Lampa (Dead On Arrival) and Ruth Vega Fernandez (the ‘Johan Falk’ film series).

Vera (Jenny Lampa) and Vanja (Ruth Vega Fernandez) are a pair of vampire sisters, bloodsucking outcasts struggling to live a secret life in semi-isolation in the bleak suburbs of Stockholm. While hanging out together in one of the city’s dive bar nightclubs, Vera makes the fatal mistake of feeding on and killing the leader of a skinhead biker gang in one of the club’s toilet stalls. When the body is discovered by one of the victim’s buddies, the sisters are forced to run into the night, pursued by a gang of ruthless thugs intent on revenge.

During the intimidating ordeal of being hunted, Vanja begins to open up to Vera and reveals her already-rooted but, until now, unspoken plans to give up being an outsider, to try and adjust to the real world and to begin a relationship with a human with whom she believes she has fallen in love. Terrified by the idea of having to live a life of solitude as a vampire without her sister, Vera decides she will do anything to keep Vanja by her side. Meanwhile, the skinhead bikers are closing in…

Director Pontikis’ highly original and almost existentialist take on vampire lore uniquely and refreshingly presents the protagonists as sympathetic characters, resulting in a surprisingly heartbreaking story of two sisters whose common dependency upon human blood and each other become the very things that threaten to tear them apart.

Not Like Others (cert. 15) will be released on DVD (£12.99) by Chelsea Films on 25th October 2010. The disc features Stereo 2.0 or Dolby Digital 5.1, English subtitles, Scene selection and Trailer.

Oh yes!

And how do you give away a film named 'Not Like Others' by doing a comp that is...quite like others...mmm, well at least one comp. Last year about this time we had similar competition - kind of like a mini-tradition now.

So here's what you have to do...

Since it's Halloween, it's time to grab those pumpkins and start carving! Simply post a picture of your carved pumpkin to this thread and next sunday (Halloweeeeeen) I'll pick the three best pumpkins and each winner will win themselves this excellent dvd!

So get carving!

I'll try and post some pics up of some of my carvings too when I do some.

Good luck!

Kyle
Old 24th October 2010, 03:09 PM
Seasoned Cultist

You're really stretching our creativity with these comps! I shall definitely give this one a go.
Old 24th October 2010, 04:26 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

They don't have to be AMAZING, trouserpress, it's just a bit of fun. Last years one went well so I thought I'd give it another go this year. I wrote a blog about pumpkin carving somewhere, so I'll pop the link up to that soon. If, of course, you really don't want to carve a pumpkin, you could draw one on paint etc, though it wont be as good.

Old 24th October 2010, 04:45 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

And here's the link from last year on how to carve a pumpkin/post a pic - http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/blog...ed-here-d.html

Some of the details may have changed since obviously.
Old 25th October 2010, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I'm getting in here early, as me and the kids made a couple today. Hopefully you can tell what they are!

Old 26th October 2010, 10:14 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Woah-ho-ho! Very nice indeed, trouserpress! How long did it take to do those two?
Old 26th October 2010, 10:36 AM
Seasoned Cultist

About an hour I guess. The kids helped but thought scooping out the insides was too slimey!
Old 26th October 2010, 12:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

Loving the Jack Skellington one, great job!
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com
Old 26th October 2010, 04:38 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

You and your kids did an amazing job, Trouserpress.

I think I'll broaden this comp out slightly. Instead of just carved pumpkin entries, you can also post up pictures of your Halloween costume (this years/ previous years/ your kids/ wifes/ whatever!).

Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics up later too.
Old 26th October 2010, 05:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I hope we get plenty of entries this time!

Like this? Share it using the links below!