Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2011
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th July 2011, 02:24 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Weekly Comp - The Funhouse Blu-Ray - 17/07/2011 - FINISHED & SENT

Hello everyone!

Fancy winning another slice of the succulent Arrow Video cake? This week you could win the Blu-Ray of Tobe Hooper's

And here's some info on this brilliant film!

“CREATIVE DEATH SCENES… CHILLING SCARES… A FUN MOVIE THAT HARKENS BACK TO A GOLDEN TIME IN HORROR.” – DVD VERDICT.

The word ‘classic’ is certainly one that is overused, especially in respect to cinema, but in the case of Tobe Hooper’s memorable teen-slasher, The Funhouse, the term is definitely justified. Now, this highly regarded shocker is coming to Blu-ray for the first time in the UK, packed with extras and featuring a stunning, brand new transfer of the film in glorious High Definition.

Reportedly the project that was responsible for Hooper having to turn down directing duties on ‘E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial’, The Funhouse is that rarest of cinematic treats - a genuinely fun and creepy horror film. From its inspired opening sequence that pays homage to both ‘Psycho’ and ‘Halloween’ in the same breath, to an excellent cast that includes Elizabeth Berridge (Amadeus), Shawn Carson (Something Wicked This Way Comes), Miles Chapin (The People Vs. Larry Flynt; Howard The Duck) and Wayne Doba (Scarface; Almost Famous; Monkeybone), along with cult favourites William Finley (Phantom Of The Paradise; The Fury; The Black Dahlia) and two-time Oscar nominee Sylvia Miles (Farewell My Lovely; Midnight Cowboy), and special make design by six-time Oscar winner Rick Baker (An American Werewolf In London), The Funhouse is an unmissable delight for horror fans.

A reworking of the ‘old dark house’ story, the film’s premise is simple but effective. After an evening having fun at a travelling carnival, two teenage couples on a double date decide to spend the night hidden inside the funhouse amongst the fake goblins, skeletons and monsters. But the hi-jinks soon turn into a living nightmare when they witness the murder of the carnival’s fortune-teller, Madame Zena (Miles) at the hands of the showground barker’s freakish son, Gunther (Doba), and find themselves being stalked by a grotesque creature more terrifying than anything the funhouse itself has to offer.

Convincing performances, stylish camerawork, superb set designs and slick direction all add to the overall creepy atmosphere in a film that delivers its fair share of shocks and thrills. ‘Poltergeist’ notwithstanding, The Funhouse is arguably Tobe Hooper’s most accomplished feature to date and remains as entertaining today as it was when it was first released.

The Funhouse (cert. 15) will be released on Blu-ray (£27.99) by Arrow Video on 18th July 2011.

Special Features
Audio commentary by SFX wizard Craig Reardon and Jeffrey Reddick (creator of “The Final Destination” series); audio commentary by producer Derek Power and genre scholar Howard S. Berger; audio commentary by Justin Kerswell (author of “Teenage Wasteland” and host of the slasher cinema website “Hysteria Lives”) and author Calum Waddell; “Carnage At The Carnival” – Tobe Hooper Remembers “The Funhouse”; “Miles Of Mayhem: Acting in Tobe’s Funhouse” with star Miles Chapin; “A Trilogy Of Terror: The Make-up Madness of Craig Reardon” – the SFX wizard recollects his collaborations with Tobe Hooper on “Eaten Alive”, “Poltergeist” and “The Funhouse”; Master Class Of Horror” – Mick Garris, the director of “Sleepwalkers” and “The Shining” reflects on the crimson-covered career of his longtime colleague Tobe Hooper; Live Q&A with Tobe Hooper from San Francisco; never before seen behind the scenes photographs from the collection of Craig Reardon; trailer; collectors’ booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by critic and author Kim Newman; four-panel reversible sleeve options with original and newly commissioned artwork; double-sided fold-out artwork poster.

Oh yeaaah!

Rules on how to win this will be posted shortly just as soon as I finish it and finalise the rules.

Kyle
Old 17th July 2011, 03:01 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

It's WACKY!

It's FUN!

It's CRAZY!

It's OUTRAGEOUS!

FUNHOUSE!

It's a whole lot of fun, prizes to be won, it's a real funny comp where anything can go.

If you have no idea what I'm on about then I am disapoint. Educate yourself with this...

Oh yes! This week's competition will be an online forum version of a kids game show from the 90s with virtual gunge!

How will it work? Well, late monday/tuesday I'll stick up the rules for how to play, in the meantime lets sort out teams. I'll put those who wish to take part into groups of three who will need to work together to avoid getting gunged and instead each winning themselves Hooper's horror film The Funhouse.

So for now, if you'd like to join in simply say below! And to make it a little bit more visual, it would be great if youd post a pic of your luvely face too (or if your camera shy, post a horror character's face up instead).

I'll then split you into groups of three (depending on numbers - this will be done randomly of course) and then we can get on with the game.

So who wants to take part?

Kyle
Old 17th July 2011, 03:08 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

I'd like to play. Unfortunatly I dont have a decent photo to stick up.
Old 17th July 2011, 03:34 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Why not. Sounds like fun!
Old 17th July 2011, 03:42 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Old 17th July 2011, 03:44 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Excellent!

to PaulD - the first to post a pic. It'll just make it a little more fun - BZ and Blob, you're going to be stuck with a face I pick for you now Mwhaha.
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Oh yeah... photo..

Here you go!

Cult Veteran
Good Trader

count me in i dont have a pic on my laptop only on FB if some 1 explains how i load from there then i do it ....I dont know how to..
Old 17th July 2011, 03:52 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

I'm in. Choose the ugliest pic you can find - gotta be better than the real thing
Old 17th July 2011, 04:03 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Count me in too, my pic is my avatar

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html

Like this? Share it using the links below!