Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2011

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th September 2011, 11:04 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Weekly Comp - Pieces & Midnight DVD - 04/09/2011 - FINISHED

Hello!

WELCOME TO SEPTEMBER!

Joy. Joy.

As the days get darker, join the Comp Corner for plenty of prizes to brighten up your day! This week I'm giving away not one, but TWO Arrow Video releases that any horror fan would be crazy to miss. They are...

AND

Here's all the details...

FROM THE CO-WRITER OF “NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD”.

Affectionately described as “a greasy, grimy, and frequently unpleasant little nugget” by DVD Talk, writer-director John A. Russo’s sordid tale of young runaways, lecherous stepfathers and inbred Satanists, Midnight, comes to DVD for the first time in the UK, completely uncut.

Adapted by Russo (co-writer of “Night Of The Living Dead”) from his own novel, Midnight stars John Amplas (Day Of The Dead; Martin), Melanie Verlin (Monkey Shines) and Lawrence Tierney (Reservoir Dogs).

Alone on the road trying to hitch a ride to California to start a new life away from the unwelcome attention of her sleazy stepfather, Nancy hooks up with a pair of good natured petty crooks on a road trip to nowhere special. Things take a dark turn when they decide to camp out in the woods and her new friends meet an untimely end at the hands of a pair of backwoods cops.

Now, Nancy is in danger of being sacrificed to Satan himself by the wayward lawmen and their twisted siblings in an insane attempt to resurrect their mother’s mummified corpse.

Midnight
(cert. 18) will be released on DVD (£15.99) by Arrow Video on 5th September 2011.

Special Features
Introduction by star John Amplas; “Vampires, Rednecks and Zombies: The Fear Career Of John Amplas”; “Midnight At Your Door: The Shocking Sacrifices Of John Russo”; collector’s booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by Stephen Thrower, author of “Nightmare USA”; reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork; double-sided fold out artwork poster; presented in its original full frame 1.33:1 aspect ratio; original mono audio.

“A MASTERPIECE OF EARLY 80s SLEAZE.” – ELI ROTH, DIRECTOR OF “HOSTEL” AND “CABIN FEVER”.

From cult Spanish exploitation king, director Juan Piquer Simón (Slugs; Monster Island), comes Pieces, a brilliantly perverse 80s slasher starring Christopher George (The Exterminator; City Of The Living Dead), Lynda Day George (Beyond Evil; Mission: Impossible) and Jack Taylor (The Ninth Gate; Conan The Barbarian) that proves “you don’t have to go to Texas for a chainsaw massacre.”

Jigsaw puzzles can be maddening. They can drive you to distraction. You might even go so crazy as to take your own mother down with an axe... and that’s only the beginning for one repressed teenager.

On a Boston university campus, forty years later, young girls are missing out. Missing out on hands, feet, arms and heads as a certain puzzled psychopath carves a bloody swathe through the college’s female population. Only one tough cop has the stones to bring him in, but can he track down the slayer before all the girls are mincemeat?

Described by TerrorTrap.com as “sick, sleazy, demented and twisted… one of our guiltiest of guilty pleasures… deliriously fun”, Pieces is a must-see movie for 80s exploitation movie aficionados and slasher fans everywhere.

Pieces (cert. 18) will be released on DVD (£15.99) by Arrow Video on 5th September 2011.

Special Features
Introduction by star Jack Taylor; “Pieces Of Jack: An Actor’s Experience Of Spanish Splatter” – Actor Jack Taylor recollects his experiences of performing in “Pieces”; “Pieces of Deconstruction: Looking Back At A Grindhouse Gorefest” – “Hostel” producer Scott Spiegel, filmmaker Howard S. Berger, Fangoria’s Michael Gingold and horror historian Santos Ellin Jr. reflect on the lasting legacy of “Pieces”; audio commentary by Fangoria magazine’s Tony Timpone; reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork; double-sided fold out artwork poster; collector’s booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by Stephen Thrower, author of “Nightmare USA”; original 1.66:1 (16x9) anamorphic aspect ratio; original English and Spanish mono audio options.

But how do you win? Well, read below for all the details...
Old 4th September 2011, 11:14 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

So how do you win?

Well, originally I was planning on making a Flash-based interactive jigsaw puzzle for you all to have a go at - fans of Pieces will know why.

But that idea failed. So, here's the backup plan!

Erm...what?

Well that is a jigsaw. Unfortiontly, the person that made it is a complete tool. Ahem. Instead they've gone and put 5 jigsaw puzzles (each one of a famous Cult Film) together. All you need to do is figure out what those film posters are. Think you got it? Simply PM me your answers!

Those who get all 5 correct - or the most out of the other entries - by next week will be put into a random draw to win Pieces!

If you want to win Midnight however, you're going to need to really pull out your finger. So to speak. If you want to win Midnight you'll have to send me at least THREE correct answers by midnight (so before the clock strikes tuesday). Anyone who does will win Midnight automatically - no draws! So what are you waiting for? Get to it!

I'll be giving out clues AFTER tuesday if you need them.

Good luck!

Kyle
nekromantik likes this.
Old 4th September 2011, 11:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

woo!
guessed first 3 so got midnight

thanks kyle awesome comp!

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 5th September 2011, 12:50 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Think I have all five now..
Old 5th September 2011, 05:04 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Damn I think I missed out on Midnight. I hate timezones! I checked to see if the new comp was up this morning but it wasn't and I've been at uni all day. I just checked, saw this comp and quickly did it but apparently it's already 5am or something in London. I know I'm probably ranting but I guess I feel I'm at a bit of an unfair advantage
Old 5th September 2011, 07:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Managed to get all 5, not as hard as I first thought

Violence is Italian Art
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 5th September 2011, 07:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
Damn I think I missed out on Midnight. I hate timezones! I checked to see if the new comp was up this morning but it wasn't and I've been at uni all day. I just checked, saw this comp and quickly did it but apparently it's already 5am or something in London. I know I'm probably ranting but I guess I feel I'm at a bit of an unfair advantage
It's only Monday dude, you've got about 15 hours until it's Tuesday.
Old 5th September 2011, 08:25 AM
Cult Acolyte

Bam! Sent off my 5 answers - is that right? EVERY person who answers today wins Midnight ?! That's some proper generousity right there . . .
Old 5th September 2011, 08:27 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Managed to get all 5, not as hard as I first thought
I know. I dismissed it on first viewing as being too hard, but a bit of cunning google detective work saved the day . . .
Old 5th September 2011, 09:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
I know. I dismissed it on first viewing as being too hard, but a bit of cunning google detective work saved the day . . .
I had a quick look while the kids were getting ready for school and figured out 3 of them, then worked out the other 2 whilst doing the school run, the added bonus of having an iPhone!

P.S I wasn't driving by the way

Violence is Italian Art
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!