Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2011

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th October 2011, 02:15 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Super Comp - 100 Cult Films Book - 16/10/2011 - FINISHED

Howdy Hey!

Now we all luv our cult films on this forum. In fact, most of us live for these types of films! So what better prize that Xavier Mendik's new 100 Cult Films Book! Horray!

Fancy winning this? We've got three copies to give away! If so, read on...

Some films should never have been made. They are too unsettling, too dangerous, too challenging, too outrageous and even too badly made to be let loose on unsuspecting audiences.

Yet these films, from the shocking Cannibal Holocaust to the apocalyptic Donnie Darko, from the destructive Tetsuo to the awfully bad The Room, from the hilarious This Is Spı¨nal Tap to the campy Showgirls, from the asylum of Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari to the circus of Freaks, from the gangs of The Warriors to the gangsters of In Bruges and from the flamboyant Rocky Horror Picture Show to the ultimate cool of The Big Lebowski, have all garnered passionate fan followings.

Cult cinema has made tragic misfits, monsters and cyborgs, such as Edward Scissorhands or Blade Runner’s replicants, heroes of our times. 100 Cult Films explains why these figures continue to inspire fans around the globe. Cult film experts Ernest Mathijs and Xavier Mendik round up the most cultish of giallo, blaxploitation, anime, sexploitation, zombie, vampire and werewolf films, exploring both the cults that live hidden inside the underground (Nekromantik, Café Flesh) and the cult side of the mainstream (Dirty Dancing, The Lord of the Rings, and even The Sound of Music).

100 Cult Films is a true trip around the world, providing a lively and illuminating guide to films from more than a dozen countries, across nine decades, representing a wide range of genres and key cult directors such as David Cronenberg, Terry Gilliam and David Lynch.

Drawing on exclusive interviews with some of the world’s most iconic cult creators and performers, including Dario Argento, Pupi Avati, Alex Cox, Ruggero Deodato, Jesús Franco, Lloyd Kaufman, Harry Kümel, H. G. Lewis, Christina Lindberg, Takashi Miike, Franco Nero, George A. Romero and Brian Yuzna, and featuring a foreword by cult director Joe Dante, 100 Cult Films is your ultimate ticket to the midnight movie show.

Oh yeah!

So how do you win this? Well it's time to scratch those braincells Cult Labbers!

Below is a picture I put together. Within it are 10 cult film titles, presented via picture clues. All you have to do is figure the 10 out and then PM me your answers.

For example, if there was a sheep, and I coloured it in black, then the answer would be... Black Sheep. It's like Pictionary...kinda. Just say what you see.

The three with the most correct by the end of the competition (Sunday the 23rd) will win this book! If there's a draw, then those names will be randomly selected.

Of course, I'll be giving away clues if you need help!

For a bigger version of the picture - click here http://i.imgur.com/VIqmj.jpg

I may also be able to get a discount code for EVERYONE who enters - I'll let you know if I can.

GOOD LUCK!

Kyle
nekromantik likes this.

Last edited by iluvdvds@Cult Labs; 16th October 2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 16th October 2011, 08:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

another fun comp kyle
I got 6/10 atm

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 16th October 2011, 08:48 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

7 so far! Love these sort of comps!
Old 16th October 2011, 09:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Think I have 8. There's a similar comp currently running on the lovefilm site, with 60 film titles hidden in a picture (I currently have 34) . . .
Old 16th October 2011, 09:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

New Xavier Medndik book? Does introduce every film with 'The Cine Excess of - insert film title here - is blah blah way over the top academic nonsense blah blah'

(Just a joke - I hear he's a nice chap. I don't an mind academic approach to cult movies but he and his chums go way over the top IMO)

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 17th October 2011, 10:20 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Xavier has worked hard over the years to lend some of this cult crap we like academic respectability. Whether that's a good thing or not is another matter...

Personally I'm all for it. In fact, I will shortly be delivering a lecture to his MA Cult Film students, so I suppose I'm biased.
Old 19th October 2011, 10:03 PM
Active Cultist

I have 8/10 and I am pretty confident about the other 2.
Old 19th October 2011, 11:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Anyone got all 10 yet?
Old 20th October 2011, 04:15 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDogWeTrust View Post
Anyone got all 10 yet?
I have!
InDogWeTrust likes this.

Last edited by iluvdvds@Cult Labs; 20th October 2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 20th October 2011, 05:51 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDogWeTrust View Post
Anyone got all 10 yet?
Oui!

Like this? Share it using the links below!