I LOVE 'EM BOTH.I'M TOUGHER THAN TONY MONTANA 9 25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default Clive Barker's Hellraiser & Candyman

I revisited HELLRAISER last night and IMO,it just gets better with each viewing.I'm now gonna take the time to watch HELLBOUND and HELLRAISER III.I've never watched HELLBOUND all the way through,and the same with HELLRAISER III.
CANDYMAN is also a classic,and I'd be hard pushed to think of a better out and out horror film released in the nineties.
I also need to take time to sit and watch SALOME/THE FORBIDDEN......

So the question is.....What's your favourite Barker adaptation between CANDYMAN and HELLRAISER.
Feel free to argue,discuss and defend your favourite.

IN THE BLUE CORNER FROM DOWNTOWN HELL....PINHEAD
IN THE RED CORNER FROM BEHIND YOUR MIRROR......CANDYMAN

LLLLEEEETTTSSS GET READY TO RRRRUUUMMBBBLEEEE.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Candymanposter.jpg (20.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Hellraiser_poster.jpg (10.9 KB, 0 views)

IF YOU'RE LYING,I'LL BE BACK.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Hellbound is excellent IMO, mate. III is as cheesey as they come, so brace yourself...

I haven't seen all the Hellraiser's (I think there are currently 8 of them), but the general trend I've been told is that they get worse as they go on. I have a bit of a soft spot for no. V though - really enjoyed that one despite some bad acting.

Candyman is a good film too. Not in the same league as Hellraiser IMO, but still good. The sequels are pretty shit. The only reason to watch the third one (Day of the Dead) is for Donna D'Errico who suffers from a common horror-sequel-heroine disease of 'more boobs than braincells'
Old 05-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I just Voted For Hellraiser, One of my all time favs got all 8. I don't dislike Candyman but it never did much for me, I did not find it entertaining in terms of holding my attention all way through. I have Tourettes syndrome so any film that keeps me sat still for duration is one hell of a film, Candyman failed to do this. It was basically a take on the Bloody Mary Gig, Hellraiser was original and spun many great sequels (Although not all).

Rick
Old 05-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
Hellbound is excellent IMO, mate. III is as cheesey as they come, so brace yourself...

I haven't seen all the Hellraiser's (I think there are currently 8 of them), but the general trend I've been told is that they get worse as they go on. I have a bit of a soft spot for no. V though - really enjoyed that one despite some bad acting.

Candyman is a good film too. Not in the same league as Hellraiser IMO, but still good. The sequels are pretty shit. The only reason to watch the third one (Day of the Dead) is for Donna D'Errico who suffers from a common horror-sequel-heroine disease of 'more boobs than braincells'
Yes 8

Hellraiser
Hellbound
Hell On Earth
Bloodlines
Inferno
Hellseeker
Deader
Hellworld.

1-3 are great 4 & 5 I personally agree go down the toilet. I however throughly enjoyed 6 it is a great film, then back down the pan with 7 and 8. But we all have different opinions.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Sorry, can't decide between these two masterpieces of horror, both tailor made for a more demanding, adult audience (regardless of the direction some of the later sequels might have taken).

Both films were much needed reminders of good quality horror in an era not exactly known for its huge genre output.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

CANDYMAN JUST edges it for me.I thought Virginia Madsen's performance was incredibly believable.Candyman 2 was interesting in the fact that it gave us a glimpse of the slave's backstory.But,yeah, No.3 was guff!

IF YOU'RE LYING,I'LL BE BACK.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neal View Post
Sorry, can't decide between these two masterpieces of horror
This will sound strange but neither can I. Both movies are excellent. Other than Hellbound though the sequels went a bit pear-shaped for me.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Ex-member

Never liked candyman i read the short story 1st,the film was shit compared to it,switching it from Liverpool to Chicago killed it for me,like hellraiser 2 wtf where they thinking part 1 set in the uk all of the sudden its moved to amercia
Old 05-27-2009, 12:57 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I liked HellRaiser (1 ) and hated the Candyman films so I voted for HellRaiser .
Old 05-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I liked the first "Candyman" film, especially the music, but they went downhill fast after that. "Hellraiser" gets my vote as the better film by far. Some of the sequels are ok too, but I've only seen up to "Hellraser:Inferno".

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!

Like this? Share it using the links below!