Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:57 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Default Horror & the 15 certificate

Whats your views on the 15 cert.?

Do you think that its fine for Rom Com's and Action movies , but can't deliver the goods for Horror?, or do you think that an ever increasingly liberal BBFC are allowing the bounderies of the 15 cert to be pushed to cover new levels of violence that would once have fell under the 18 age category less than a decade ago.?
Old 4th September 2009, 03:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Agree again, Angel. Land Of The Dead was a very strong 15. I also thought House Of Wax did pretty well to get a 15. The only recent downgrade I disagree on is Dirty Harry, which I still feel is 18 material.

Despite its lack of violence I would still rate the original Black Christmas as 18 today.
Just watched original black christmas few days back no way a 18 in todays standards. i mean look at orphan few yrs back that would have been a 18
Old 4th September 2009, 07:32 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

From an outsider's (non UK citizen's) perspective, the BBFC has become a lot more liberal with the violence it passes in "15"-cert horror.

Films like "Phantasm", "Halloween: Resurrection", "Final Destination 2 and 3", "Severance", "Wrestlemaniac", "Black Christmas" (remake), "Toolbox Murders" (remake) and "The Children" did get "18" ratings in many other countries, like Germany and Finland, so it's been a long while since a "15" has put me off from buying a UK horror DVD.
Old 4th September 2009, 10:00 AM
Blogs Moderator

Certificates don't bother me unless I know a film has been compromised in order to achieve a milder rating.

I've watched Amsterdamned in the last week and I can safely say that it stands up against other movies from the era in terms of gory thrills and spills, but loses out on an 18 rating because it isn't bathed in sexual threat or extended rape scenes.

Personally, although I watch a lot of movies with that kind of content, I don't particularly miss it when it isn't there.

As far as not having a 15 on the shelves, why not get some little stickers or just hide it in the DVD Box of Shame next to the secret stash of bloodless late 90s post-Scream ironic slasher-comedies
Old 4th September 2009, 10:50 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Just watched original black christmas few days back no way a 18 in todays standards. i mean look at orphan few yrs back that would have been a 18
Black Christmas is only an 18 due to the use of the C-word.
Old 4th September 2009, 10:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Well said Peter, the BBFC have become very liberal in regards to what they pass in 15's these days compared to what they used to pass.

The 18 rating today allows much stronger violence than it used to and it just seems rather silly to me for The Children and Dard Divorce to get the same rating.
Old 4th September 2009, 11:14 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Wasn't The Children raised to an 18 for DVD?

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 4th September 2009, 11:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philleh View Post
Wasn't The Children raised to an 18 for DVD?
No. The 18 for the DVD is due to a trailer.
Old 4th September 2009, 01:11 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

That'd be why! Cheers Angel.

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 4th September 2009, 01:30 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'll watch films regardless of certificate. Many of the Universal horrors (and some Hammer's) get through with a PG certificate. They're still horror movies and I still love them. I think the 'will only watch horror if it's an 18' mindset is rather juvenile - thankfully the folks here are not like that!

Saying that, I do object when Hollywood 'waters' down a film to a PG-13, that's rather stupid. But if it's a film that's aimed at the PG-13 age bracket from the start, then I don't have a problem with that. If you catch my drift.

Like this? Share it using the links below!