Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:11 AM
Cultist

Default How big was Prisoner in Australia

How big was Prisoner in Australia during its original 1979 to 1986 run?

Was it as popular as Coronation Street and Eastenders are in the UK?

Presumably, the ratings must have fallen off towards the end for it to have been cancelled by the network.

Does anyone know at what point Australian viewers started to lose interest in the serial?

I have heard it said that the ratings did fall after Val Lehman departed the series and that it was a slump from which it would never fully recover. I believe some stations even took the series off and stopped showing it after Bea left.
Old 23rd April 2012, 03:46 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The~Governor View Post
I have heard it said that the ratings did fall after Val Lehman departed the series and that it was a slump from which it would never fully recover. I believe some stations even took the series off and stopped showing it after Bea left.
Probably a rumour started by... Val Lehman.
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

From what I've managed to gather from various forums and Prisoner sites it was pretty big at the time. Primetime tv that got decent ratings and fairly good press coverage.
Old 24th April 2012, 06:48 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The~Governor View Post
Presumably, the ratings must have fallen off towards the end for it to have been cancelled by the network.
well that has never been the reason given ..but who knows..I dont know anything as fact but have heard it had more viewers for the first 4 years?

Like this? Share it using the links below!