Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Like Tree1966Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th September 2018, 10:43 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Invisible Invaders (1959)

Invisible aliens hiding on the moon land on Earth in a bid to take it over. Changing their molecular structure (I think that's what scientist John Agar called it) they take possession of buried corpses and become an army of the walking dead.

One of those so bad it's good films that flooded US cinemas in the science fiction boom of the fifties. Despite it's flaws - poor acting, dodgy FX - like me you may marvel at the thought this actually might have been an influence on George A Romero some nine years later because the walking corpses are strangely effective.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg invisible-invaders.jpg (96.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 27th September 2018, 05:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Review! Ach, I love it.

The Beyond (2017, Hasraf Dulull)
A returning anomaly has NASA stumped. So they decide on a decidedly dodgy 'solution' .
Semi literate documentary style scifi flick.
Apart from the blatant Avatar lift ... cough.
Recommended if undemanding.
bleakshaun likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th September 2018, 09:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

Spaceship lands in DC. Alien who looks like Michael Rennie arrives with his pet robot. Soldiers shoot Rennie. Rennie leaves hospital and lives in a guest house with a kid and his mother, goes with kid to look at the Washington memorial, gets shot by army again, lectures the world about nuclear power and living in peace then buggers off.

The end!
bleakshaun, Rob4 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 28th September 2018, 10:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The usual high school types ( nerd, loner , jock etc) are throwing together when the teachers at there school start behaving strangely ,they soon find out they have been taking over by alien parasites. 7/10

An enjoyable low budget German movie of the lovecraft story of the same name. 7/10

Now watching dream catcher.
bleakshaun and MrBarlow like this.
Old 28th September 2018, 10:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I hate reviews where they give away the ending me ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th September 2018, 10:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

I hate reviews where they give away the ending me ...
Seen The Day the Earth Stood Still twice now in the space of a week. Never seen it before, although i have seen the remake.

There just doesn't seem a lot to it other than moralising and it being a metaphor for the second coming of Christ.
Old 28th September 2018, 10:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Seen The Day the Earth Stood Still twice now in the space of a week. Never seen it before, although i have seen the remake.

There just doesn't seem a lot to it other than moralising and it being a metaphor for the second coming of Christ.
I'm kidding. I grew up with Day on TV. Yes, it's preachy, but liberals, Hollywood liberals at that did write it. I've never seen the other one. I see no point in it. Repetition I like. Repeating myself I don't

[B]
Old 8th October 2018, 09:28 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
So I watched this today.

Still thoroughly enjoyed watching it. And hey they should do a sequel to it. Tim Thomerson is still alive so Charles Band get to it.

I should also note, recommended.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

They did do a sequel to it. Nowhere near as good as the first. It also serves as a sequel to Demonic Toys and Bad Channels.

IMG_7178.jpg
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 8th October 2018, 04:44 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
They did do a sequel to it. Nowhere near as good as the first. It also serves as a sequel to Demonic Toys and Bad Channels.

Attachment 209850
I didn't see it really as a sequel, I am aware of it as I watched last Friday (see October movie marathon for the "review"). I was meaning a standalone sequel just about bardo

Edit: just read this again and kinda comes off as a c**ty post, so apologies if it does

Last edited by bleakshaun; 8th October 2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 25th October 2018, 07:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I'm kidding. I grew up with Day on TV. Yes, it's preachy, but liberals, Hollywood liberals at that did write it. I've never seen the other one. I see no point in it. Repetition I like. Repeating myself I don't
Liberals? i beg to differ. the revelation at the end of the movie is that Gort and the off-planet army of robots are actually police with the power to destroy any sentient being that steps violently out of line. basically its saying we've set up a police state that can destroy us because we can't trust ourselves not to do it - this is very far away from a Liberal doctrine. the film also very much reflected the time it was made with the fledgling United Nations seen as a force that could step in and keep the peace between nations... although i don't think anyone thought the UN would take such extreme measures as those depicted in the film!

Like this? Share it using the links below!