Laura Dern was good too but I kept expecting her to say “**** off Albert” haha
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th December 2017, 12:57 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I thought The Last Jedi was a much stronger film than The Force Awakens as so much of it felt fresh, funny and imaginative rather than a retread of what had gone before. I'm far from a Star Wars fan and don't own any of them in any form, but it was interesting to see how this had a good mix of spectacle and character development, superbly orchestrated action sequences and engaging relationships. The moments between Luke and Leia were quite emotional, as were those between Rose and Finn, and the first 'conversation' between Poe and General Hux was genuinely funny and people were laughing out loud in the cinema; it reminded me (as I alluded to in the What films have you seen recently thread) of the sort of humorous encounter from a Guardians of the Galaxy film – the same goes for the moment when Luke emerges from a huge cloud of rubble, smoke and dust, casually/sarcastically brushing dust off his shoulder.

Adam Driver is slowly but surely becoming one of the more interesting and complete actors around and his performance in this film betters any before it with his emotional struggle being genuinely unpredictable and fascinating making the moment where he outsmarted Snoke a real surprise – I was sure he would still be the Supreme Leader in Episode IX. I mentioned this somewhere else, but I was very pleased to see it continue the sort of characters from the previous episode and Rogue One becoming a genuine feminist film which would ace the Bechtel Test and provide numerous strong role models (not just Leia, but Rei, Rose, Vice-Admiral Holdo, Captain Phasma, and even, in her short appearance, Maz Kanata) for all female Star Wars fans, whatever their age.

It did sag a little in the second act, though I can't actually pinpoint where – but something for a second viewing – and possibly could have done with some tighter editing, but the ending was really engaging, emotional and J.J. Abrams really has his work cut out to better this in the next episode.

Interestingly, I went with two people who were not Star Wars fans and hadn't even seen The Force Awakens and they both understood it and enjoyed it so much they expressed a desire to see it again! I'll definitely go to the cinema for a second viewing, possibly tomorrow.
Old 20th December 2017, 01:08 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It did sag a little in the second act, though I can't actually pinpoint where – but something for a second viewing – and possibly could have done with some tighter editing, but the ending was really engaging, emotional and J.J. Abrams really has his work cut out to better this in the next episode.
I agree with all of your review but particularly this part, I also can't pinpoint why it felt a bit (almost) boring in the middle but it I was definitely thinking of other things at certain points in the film. However, the beginning was really strong and the ending was genuinely exciting (aside from Rose 'rescuing' Finn). I'll be watching it again but like I said in the other thread, I'll be waiting until the disc comes out.

I scored it a 3.5 stars which on my rating scale is between 'liked it' (3 stars) and 'loved it' (4 stars).

Old 20th December 2017, 01:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I thought The Last Jedi was a much stronger film than The Force Awakens as so much of it felt fresh, funny and imaginative rather than a retread of what had gone before. I'm far from a Star Wars fan and don't own any of them in any form, but it was interesting to see how this had a good mix of spectacle and character development, superbly orchestrated action sequences and engaging relationships. The moments between Luke and Leia were quite emotional, as were those between Rose and Finn, and the first 'conversation' between Poe and General Hux was genuinely funny and people were laughing out loud in the cinema; it reminded me (as I alluded to in the What films have you seen recently thread) of the sort of humorous encounter from a Guardians of the Galaxy film – the same goes for the moment when Luke emerges from a huge cloud of rubble, smoke and dust, casually/sarcastically brushing dust off his shoulder.

Adam Driver is slowly but surely becoming one of the more interesting and complete actors around and his performance in this film betters any before it with his emotional struggle being genuinely unpredictable and fascinating making the moment where he outsmarted Snoke a real surprise – I was sure he would still be the Supreme Leader in Episode IX. I mentioned this somewhere else, but I was very pleased to see it continue the sort of characters from the previous episode and Rogue One becoming a genuine feminist film which would ace the Bechtel Test and provide numerous strong role models (not just Leia, but Rei, Rose, Vice-Admiral Holdo, Captain Phasma, and even, in her short appearance, Maz Kanata) for all female Star Wars fans, whatever their age.

Interestingly, I went with two people who were not Star Wars fans and hadn't even seen The Force Awakens and they both understood it and enjoyed it so much they expressed a desire to see it again! I'll definitely go to the cinema for a second viewing, possibly tomorrow.
think this proves that fanboys are there own worst enemy's at times , its been the same with the new trek show on the whole people have liked it apart from those few vocal fans who used to complain that they have done nothing new with star trek
Old 20th December 2017, 01:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
think this proves that fanboys are there own worst enemy's at times , its been the same with the new trek show on the whole people have liked it apart from those few vocal fans who used to complain that they have done nothing new with star trek
What can they do new with Star Trek? The series was originally about venturing into outer space and exploring. This happened for three series as well as having a series set on a space station then there was Enterprise which was the early voyages.

Even casting a woman commander has been done previously.
Old 20th December 2017, 01:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
What can they do new with Star Trek? The series was originally about venturing into outer space and exploring. This happened for three series as well as having a series set on a space station then there was Enterprise which was the early voyages.

Even casting a woman commander has been done previously.
its very dark, unlike any other trek show and the federation are not a bunch of goody two shoes unlike the other shows, apart from really deep space nine and thats one reason its my favourite show.

lets not get started with fan boys getting upset and saying how disgusted they were when we saw two men kiss! this day and age you would think we would be beyond stuff like that,especially with star trek and gene roddenberry's vision
Old 20th December 2017, 01:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
its very dark, unlike any other trek show and the federation are not a bunch of goody two shoes unlike the other shows, apart from really deep space nine and thats one reason its my favourite show.

lets not get started with fan boys getting upset and saying how disgusted they were when we saw two men kiss! this day and age you would think we would be beyond stuff like that,especially with star trek and gene roddenberry's vision
I've just read ten reviews one after the other and not one mentions that. They all pan the series for reasons mainly that go against what has come before or is seen as Trek canon. Inconsistencies which stand out especially as the series is set after Enterprise.
Old 20th December 2017, 01:54 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:

If I remember correctly there is an episode where Beverley Crusher fell in love with a person in a man's body but they fluidly changed sex as their mood moved them and she continued the relationship as a woman, but obviously lesbian kisses are OK when gay men aren't

I love Discovery though, I can't wait for the mid season break to be done!

Old 20th December 2017, 01:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've just read ten reviews one after the other and not one mentions that. They all pan the series for reasons mainly that go against what has come before or is seen as Trek canon. Inconsistencies which stand out especially as the series is set after Enterprise.
agree with the Inconsistencies, the thing about the kiss was just the usual backlash after the episode was showing, but i think stuff will be explained when the show comes back and it has already been given a second season. they will have to explain what happened to the technology of the ship spore drive as its far ahead of anything before or since

Like this? Share it using the links below!