Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28634Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th June 2013, 11:00 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I preferred the spectacle of RTD episodes, they felt more of an event. Be it Vesuvius exploding, space ships crashing into Big Ben or the futuristic setting to Gridlock.

The first two of Smith's series failed in that respect to me. Although the first part of series 7 lived up to it.

I don't like the way Moffat digs into the series secrets, hint at things by all means but the naming of the Doctor was a miss fire in my opinion even though it was all his usual non-event bluster. Despite loving The Name of the Doctor episode, the minute you give it any scrutiny it completely falls apart.
Having said that. I certainly don't dislike the show under Steven Moffat. Some of the episodes have been fantastic and I can't wait till November.
Old 13th June 2013, 12:36 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quick question - do the Classic Who boxsets ever contain content specifically available to the boxset or is everything also available on the individual dvds?
Old 13th June 2013, 07:38 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Quick question - do the Classic Who boxsets ever contain content specifically available to the boxset or is everything also available on the individual dvds?
Some releases are only available in boxsets. Like The Mara collection, Beneath the Surface and Cybermen collection 2. Other, like Cybermen collection 1, Pertwee boxset and Sontaran collection, are collected releases of single editions available individualy. In the latter case there is now extra upgrade in quality and such. Unless it's a revisitations edition.
PaulD likes this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 13th June 2013, 11:37 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Some releases are only available in boxsets. Like The Mara collection, Beneath the Surface and Cybermen collection 2. Other, like Cybermen collection 1, Pertwee boxset and Sontaran collection, are collected releases of single editions available individualy. In the latter case there is now extra upgrade in quality and such. Unless it's a revisitations edition.
Cheers Hawky! So basically the boxsets are the best choices overall? Presume they're probably better value for money too (although won't that play havoc with having them in order on the shelves?)

I'm up to the Doctor's Wife now (which I thought was TERRIBLE. Can't believe Neil Gaiman wrote it and people speak of it so highly) but also rewatched the last 2 Ecclestone episodes too. Can people honestly say that Moffat has done anything worse than the whole Big Brother/AnneDroid/Trinny and Suzanna thing at the beginning of a two-part final Doctor story? That was my problem with a lot of RTD's stuff - you could practically hearing him chuckling to himself at his desk over how clever he thought he was being.
Old 13th June 2013, 02:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Zavvi have canceled my preorder of the Daleks 2BD set - they could not get ahold of enough copies... I am not pleased...
Old 13th June 2013, 02:56 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Will Doctor Who Have A Very Special Surprise For Us In November? - Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors

Exciting!
Gothmogxx likes this.
Old 13th June 2013, 03:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

I'll believe it when I see it. Still, here's hoping...
Old 13th June 2013, 04:00 PM
Cult Addict

Goth did mention The Macra Terror had reportedly popped up last page...well, it's TWO threads instead of the usual ONE, so colour me curious.
Gothmogxx likes this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 13th June 2013, 04:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist

First off, I have to say I do prefer RTD. Some of my favourite stories of all time come from that era. I even loved The Aliens of London. I liked the idea. Yes the Slithen (or however you spell it) weren't exactly the best monsters, but didn't many classic series episodes have bad monsters with stories that are now considered classics? The Moff can write good stories though.

And as for the missing episodes, I will believe it when I see it. But the thing is, what we mostly get is rumor after rumor (my personal favourite being the one with some guy on Gallifrey Base claiming The Moonbase ep.1 was being held at a car boot sale near a burger van ) But the thing with the Macra Terror, is that it is an investigation, not a rumor. It's not been made up: episodes from that story were screened at that school. The only question is what happened to the prints afterwards. Hopefully, we'll get lucky. For all we know, they could have the full story in the vaults by now. Here's hoping!

Here's the thread Was Macra shown in New Zealand (revisited)? | www.missing-episodes.com
Hawkmonger likes this.
Old 13th June 2013, 06:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Just spotted this on Facebook, thought you guys & galls might like it

Roughale and Gothmogxx like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!