Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Shameless FAQ (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Costs of acquiring prints (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/shameless-faq/10714-costs-acquiring-prints.html)

b.m.fruen 31st March 2013 08:59 PM

Costs of acquiring prints

How much does it cost on average for Shameless to acquire film prints of the movies they release?
I'm asking this because I'm thinking of starting my own company sometime in the near-future and releasing rare euro-horror films and I was wondering how much it might on average cost to buy the rights for these types of films.

gag 31st March 2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b.m.fruen (Post 331948)
How much does it cost on average for Shameless to acquire film prints of the movies they release?
I'm asking this because I'm thinking of starting my own company sometime in the near-future and releasing rare euro-horror films and I was wondering how much it might on average cost to buy the rights for these types of films.

Good Question I've always wondered that,

dream demon 2nd April 2013 08:49 AM

Me too. What I was surprised to learn was that a distribution company may buy the rights to distribute a film, even if there are no suitable materials to use.

gag 2nd April 2013 09:44 AM

I've always wondered how much the complete process would cost from scratch buying the rights, the whole process in between and then getting it out into the shops etc etc,

Daemonia 2nd April 2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream demon (Post 332207)
Me too. What I was surprised to learn was that a distribution company may buy the rights to distribute a film, even if there are no suitable materials to use.

I would have thought that you would first do some enquiries and research on whether suitable materials exist before licensing a title. It's probably not as simple as that, but logic dictates that that would be the sensible thing to do.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd April 2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 332234)
I would have thought that you would first do some enquiries and research on whether suitable materials exist before licensing a title. It's probably not as simple as that, but logic dictates that that would be the sensible thing to do.

You clearly had nothing to do with VIPCO Daemonia. :lol:

dream demon 2nd April 2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 332234)

Yep, that's what I always thought, too, but apparently it is not always the case!

Does anyone know how one would go about locating who owns rights to what? I did some research into this last year, but I found it almost impossible to locate any information. I had assumed there would just be some sort of registry, almost like a patents office type affair or some sort of trade organisation/publication.