Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Shameless FAQ
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th September 2011, 09:21 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

I've merged these threads since they deal with a v. similar topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chad View Post
Does Shameless ever decide certain films are just not worth releasing due to this point.
Just to address this question, the way it works is that Shameless buy the rights to a film and the materials and then get it ready for release. They then send it to the BBFC and pay them to classify the film. By this point if the film requires cuts, Shameless have already paid out a lot of money in terms of acquiring the film, authoring it and paying the BBFC so they can't really take the decision to just not release it.

I imagine the only circumstances in which they would decide not to go ahead with a release would be if the cuts were so drastic that the film was incoherent.
Old 26th September 2011, 10:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
Shameless have already paid out a lot of money in terms of acquiring the film, authoring it and paying the BBFC so they can't really take the decision to just not release it.
I find it slightly annoying when people give UK companies flak for releasing cut films. What do they expect them to do? They've paid a fortune for the rights, had it remastered and then paid to have it classified by the BBFC (who charge up to £1000). It would be very silly and bad business sense (obv) not to release it and at least try and recoup some of the costs. As we've seen in the past the sales of cut films have allowed companies to take a chance and release more obscure titles.

I'm NOT having a go at folks who only buy uncut versions, there are loads of UK DVD releases I've avoided due to heavy cuts but there are some, like CANNIBAL APOCALYPSE and several westerns, that I've bought because the cuts are less than 10 seconds in length and don't affect the film in any way.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 26th September 2011, 10:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

the germans cut 13 minutes out of Srpski!!??!! it must resemble a nasty looking family drama now haha a-hem.

when it is in fact a VERY nasty family drama.

id like to censor Seth Rogan's mush every time he pops up on screen, but hey i understand that not everyone feels the same way..., i think that a main bugbear that horror fans have with the BBFC is that their own personal feelings came into play where we had to deal with our very own matthew hopkins in the shape of (you know it...) The Ferman (now there's a title) who to all intense purposes headed a witchhunt with the help of the gutter press. this has left many of us with a sour taste in the mouth when the spectre of censorship is raised.....to finish, yes shameless have managed to get HOTEOTP through onto the shelves in a far more intact state than in recent history, and the option is there for people who (like myself...) still feel as an adult i should be able to watch what the hell i want to. rant over.

Like this? Share it using the links below!