Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Shamelessly Creative

Like Tree298Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th May 2008, 08:14 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Those covers look brilliant............How about ABSURD? (We are never happy)
Old 13th May 2008, 07:13 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

OI! Mr Coyote....can we have some more please?HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY AND THE BEYOND if you don't mind.....your BATHOD cover over at abuk was sheer genius
Old 14th May 2008, 09:16 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

These covers are great fun. We've looked into The Beyond and it is a possible but not for at least a year as rights won't be available until 2009.

House by the Cemetary - I'd love to see that in the collection - let's see what it'll cost. I would imagine it would cost a pretty penny. For instance we looked at Cannibal Holocaust but at 12,000 Euros we'd never make that back!
Old 14th May 2008, 10:12 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Shameless View Post
For instance we looked at Cannibal Holocaust but at 12,000 Euros we'd never make that back!
I was thinking - what you really need is a film that's about to get remade. If the remake is a success then it'll generate a lot of interest in the original prompting people (the not-we ie the average none genre collector punter) to pick up if it's reasonably priced at places like HMV. This then potentially has a halo effect on growing interest in other titles int he collection.

So as they're remaking Holocaust...? But as you say - it would be a big punt on the gamble of the remake doing well.

"I'm saving your soul you ungrateful bitch!"
Night of the Demon
Old 14th May 2008, 10:56 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Absolutely agree, Dougal. A remake would generate extra sales for the original every time.

My only thought re Cannibal Holocaust is that the film would suffer pretty much the same cuts as before. The list (5 mins 44 secs) is pretty heavy. I can post them here if anyone is interested, though there's very very little that I could see the BBFC waiving.
Old 14th May 2008, 11:10 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

A remake of Holocaust would probably spark an interest in the original film and its closest rival Cannibal Ferox.
Now there is a film were im sure the BBFC would waive the majority of cuts with the exception of the animal scenes.
Old 14th May 2008, 11:36 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Ferox would definitely restore far more previous cuts than Holocaust. The latter even had heavy edits to the rape scenes.
Gothmogxx likes this.
Old 14th May 2008, 03:58 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
My only thought re Cannibal Holocaust is that the film would suffer pretty much the same cuts as before. The list (5 mins 44 secs) is pretty heavy. I can post them here if anyone is interested, though there's very very little that I could see the BBFC waiving.
Yes - but then this comes back to a strategic decision for the Shameless guys (and gals?) - whilst it's a laudable aim to try and release previously uncut or unavailable films these are generally not going to be big sellers in the grand scheme of things. Sure they might sell well to genre fans but to make money you need to get the average Arthur or Martha in the street to see the title in HMV and pay for it (how they see the title in HMV when they're on the street I'm not sure but I digress...) Now these people won't know or care that CH is not uncut - it'll still be the most graphic thing they've probably ever seen.

So whilst releasing a cut film isn't going to please or attract collectors it could sell well to the populance at large and subsidise the availability of more obscure stuff?

Just a thought.

"I'm saving your soul you ungrateful bitch!"
Night of the Demon
Old 14th May 2008, 04:08 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Well NYR is cut and remains our best seller so something being cut isn't a bar to sales success but even those sales levels would still see us take a bath on ?12k and that's just for rights - god knows what state the materials etc would be in. We looked at it though because it's been hinted that the cuts would be a lot less and on that basis we thought hey let's have a look. A remake would help potential sales but it also drives the price up. It's a bit of a rock and a hard place really.
Old 14th May 2008, 04:52 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

These are the current cuts (5 mins 44 secs).......
Quote:
CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST was classified '18' for video release in 2001 with the following cuts -

At 17 mins - Remove all sight of muskrat being killed.
At 19 mins - Following LS sight of man holding naked woman's head as she lies on the ground, remove sight of woman dragged through the mud and having her legs forced apart.
At 20 mins - In same sequence, and following LS sight of man preparing to attack naked woman lying on the ground, remove all subsequent sight of woman struggling and being raped with wooden dildo.
At 20 mins - In same sequence, and following sight of man raising nail-studded mud ball, remove all subsequent sight of naked woman being genitally mutilated.
At 31 mins - Following LS of tribesmen on riverbank, remove all sight of woman being raped. Resume on MS sight of men slicing corpse.
At 51 mins - Following sight of giant turtle dragged from river, remove all sight of turtle being dismembered alive and disembowelled. Resume on MS sight of man filming. Reaction shots in which turtle or parts of turtle are not visible may remain.
At 60 mins - Following CU sight of blonde man's face, remove entire sequence where top of monkey's head is sliced off and blood is drained into a bowl.
At 63 mins - Following LS sight of man approaching tethered pig, remove subsequent sequence showing tethered pig being kicked and shot.
At 76 mins - Significantly reduce rape sequence.
At 82 mins - Remove MS sight of woman's genitals before she is dragged away by cannibals.
At 86 mins - After woman is partially stripped, remove all sight of her underwear being removed and her subsequent rape.
Don't hold your breath on too much of this being restored today. Ferox would suffer less cuts.

Like this? Share it using the links below!