Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13830Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th January 2019, 08:59 AM
Cult Master

Since my 'exile' in Purley, I have been unable to watch anything on television due to the fact that the mother-in-law and father-in-law only use it for soap operas, news programmes and sport. Because of this, I have been staying in the bedroom, catching up on television box sets on the computer DVD set-up

So far I have watched:

24 - 1st series
I had seen the odd episode of this before, and I found the MTV quick cutting and split screen effects to be very off-putting, but watching it from the start, it made sense. The gimmick of episodes being played in real time might of worked on television (with the inclusion of adverts), but on DVD it falls flat, with every 60 minute episode actually running about 40 minutes! I know that Gag has recently got this, so I will 'spoiler' this to save ruining it for him
SPOILER:
Apparently the show was initially only commissioned for 13 episodes which covered the kidnapping of the wife and daughter. However, this was then extended for 24 episodes, so while I found the first half of the series to be gripping and very enjoyable, it seemed that once Teri and Kim had been saved, every subsequent episode was a case of 'oh, they have been kidnapped again, phew, they have been saved, on no, they have been kidnapped again, not to worry, they have been saved, blimey, they have been kidnapped again, that's good, they've been saved again etc!

Re-watch value: Chloe has the complete run of this show, and she swears by it. I will sit on the fence for now, and watch the second series at some point before I make up my mind

Charmed - Series 1 - 5
Derivative, sub-Buffy nonsense. It's an enjoyable time waster, but that's all it is - a time waster. There isn't a lot to recommend it, but it passes an hour or two.

Re-watch value: None, but I have got most of the complete collection, so I will finish series 6 and half of series 7, but unless something drastic happens, it'll be charity bound!

Kung Fu - Series 1
This was a real revelation! The original 70's television show with David Carradine was something I wasn't expecting to like, but it was gripping and eminently watchable throughout. I found myself remembering parts that I had seen on the original broadcast. Presented as a Western, it should be everything I dislike about American television, but I thoroughly enjoyed it

Re-watch value: Definitely a keeper. I am now trawling the charity shops, looking a cheap copies of the second and third series'!

Lost - Series 1 - 3
This is wonderful. Am thoroughly enjoying it. It's complex, simplistic, episodic, confusing, mesmerising, puzzling... Yes, it asks more questions than it dreams of answering, but it has become compulsive viewing for me. Sadly I have ground to a halt because although I have the 5th and 6 series ready to go, I have been unable to find any cheap copies of the 4th one yet, so it'll have to take a back seat until someone gives it to my local CEX!

Re-watch value: Yes, without a doubt. It seems to be one of those shows that demands you watch it a number of time to catch all the clues, references and foreshadowing of events to come

The Muppet Show - 1st series
I really wanted to like this, but it seems that the memory lies, and what I used to enjoy as a child has been lost over time. There are still some classic moments (Fozzy Bear's jokes, Statler and Wardorf) but I don't remember Piggy being such an unlikable and violent character - if someone says something she doesn't agree with, the answer is to hit them. Another problem is the use of guest stars - there are a lot of American pop culture figures from the 70's that don't mean much to this 2019 English viewer. I enjoyed Joel Grey, Paul Williams, Peter Ustinov, Bruce Forsythe and Vincent Price, but who are Ruth Buzzi, Jim Nabors, Lena Horne, Avery Schreiber, Ben Vareen and Mummenschantz?

Re-watch value: Sadly, very little. The Muppet show is like Monty Python - for every funny sketch that is well remembered, there are ten more which fall flat. Don't think I will bother with the further series', so it went to the charity shop

Supernatural - 1st series
I know a number of people on the forum love this show, but I just didn't get it. It started off quite enjoyable, but then I found the episodes becoming very 'samey'. A few short months after watching it, I cannot remember anything about the show. Disappointing

Re-watch value: None. Straight back to the charity shop

Ugly Betty - 1st series
A 'fish out of water' show that started off very well, but slipped into well used cliches and situations. I liked it, but found the constant piling of situation upon situation to be unbelievable and contrived. I am unsure whether it is a 'serious' comedy drama, or just a parody of the bad Mexican soap operas that Betty's father constantly watches on television! To top things off, the final episode with no less than 6 end-of-season cliffhangers was very much overkill

Re-watch value: None. If they had only used one or two cliffhangers, I might have been tempted to seek out the second series, but as it is, it went straight to the charity shop

The X-Files - Series 1 - 2
A very 'bitty' show. I tried to watch it when it was first screened, but I didn't get the hype (which was huge at the time). Seeing it now is a bit of a conundrum. Some episodes are very effective, while others are incredibly tedious. I'm finding the 'monster of the week' stories are better than the 'UFO conspiracy' stories which are the basis of the entire concept!

Re-watch value: I really don't know. I am undecided as to whether it's charity shop bound or whether I get the third series and continue with it!

The Young Ones - Series 1 - 2
Time has really not been kind to this show. Nothing dates more than political humour and pop culture/advert references, and this is full of both. I found the first series to be painful, embarrassing and unfunny to watch. The second series, however, is a totally different kettle of fish. That was highly enjoyable, with Rik and Ade having found the 'Richie and Eddie' characters that they would continue to play for the rest of their time together. I would have liked it more if they had got rid of the Alexi Sayle segments tho

Re-watch value: Series one, I very much doubt it. Series two, definitely

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Last edited by Susan Foreman; 13th January 2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 13th January 2019, 11:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lena Horne was a singer I'm sure. Acted a bit and all. Douglas Sirk etc. Any help S?

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th January 2019, 01:19 PM
Cult Master

The full list of guest stars from the first series

Juliet Prowse - Dancer and actress ('Can-Can', 'G. I Blues')
Connie Stevens - 1960's teen idol
Joel Grey - Actor ('Cabaret')
Ruth Buzzi - Actress ('Rowan And Martin's Laugh In')
Rita Moreno - Actress ('West Side Story')
Jim Nabors - Actor (Gomer Pyle)
Florence Henderson - Actress ('The Brady Bunch')
Paul Williams - Actor and composer ('The Phantom Of The Paradise')
Charles Anavour - Singer
Harvey Korman - Comedian
Lena Horne - Actress and singer
Peter Ustoniv - Actor
Bruce Forsythe _ All-rounder
Sandy Duncan - Actress
Candice Bergman - Actress ('Murphy Browne')
Avery Schreiber - Comedian
Ben Vareen - Broadway actor
Phylis Diller - Actress and comedian
Vincent Price
Valerie Harper - Actress ('The Mary Tyler Moore Show')
Twiggy - Model
Ethel Merman - Broadway actress
Kaye Ballard - Broadway actress
Mummenschantz - 'Experimental mime troupe'
keirarts likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 14th January 2019, 07:56 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
It's always sunny in philadelphia season 13,just started so I'll be back in a while.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
So I've just finished this, wasn't the strongest series out of all 13. But still a great series, best episodes for me from this season is Mac Finds his Pride and The Gang Beat Boggs: Ladies Reboot.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
keirarts likes this.
Old 15th January 2019, 05:53 AM
Cult Addict

180905-itsalwayssunny.jpg
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 18th January 2019, 09:44 AM
Cult Acolyte

The CW super shows are starting again after the mid season breaks.

First up..

THE FLASH- S5 EP10 "The Flash & the Furious"

Not a good start to the run. Same old story, more meta humans. This new meta has the power to...steal any car! WOW.
The whole episode is FLASH light due to the crossover filming at the same time.
Lost interest and found my mind wandering elsewhere.
There is a plot strand involving Nora that could be interesting though.
Overall, a meh episode.
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 20th January 2019, 02:37 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Started season 2 of the Punisher last night I'm 4 episodes in although it's enjoyable it just feels a lot cheaper than season 1 plus alot of the dialogue feels very immature the character of the punisher is still cool but alot of the characters around him leaves alot to be desired. Hopefully it picks up buthe a so far I'm still feeling they should of ended it at the end of season 1 nothjng else really needed to be said.
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 20th January 2019, 09:06 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Professionals (S2, Ep 8 "Fall Girl" )

Mentioning this as for once tis Bodie in focus this time. He literally starts stalking this 'film star' (whom may also be a filthy foreign spy natch ). Very strange episode. Theme tune still rocks (I'm positive they put a theremin through a wah wah pedal )
Next!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th January 2019, 08:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Eli Roth's History Of Horror

Laughably Amerocentric in scope. AVOID
bleakshaun likes this.

[B]
Old 28th January 2019, 09:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Eli Roth's History Of Horror

Laughably Amerocentric in scope. AVOID

I enjoyed that series haha

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!