Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > Topic of the Week

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th March 2012, 02:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

As i dont want to mention The Sullivans.
can i bring it up to date with the great Underbelly (1st 3 series' anyhow), a violent and sexy look at Australia's seedier side (and Iain Smith as a sleazy government type, c'mon)

highly recommended if you like a bit of grit in your tv shows.
mr 420 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th March 2012, 04:09 PM
Cultist

THE YOUNG DOCTORS

Set in the Albert Memorial hospital, it's light and fluffy and very soapie but what the hell I liked it

The Young Doctors - Prisoner Cell Block H connection.

Both shows were produced by Grundy television.

Both shows were originated by Grundy's head of drama, REG WATSON.

Actress, JUDY McBURNEY was nurse Tania Livingstone in The Young Doctors and stayed with the serial for its entire 1396 episode run. She turned up at Wentworth playing the scatty bigamist, Pixie Mason.

IAN BRADLEY who worked on Prisoner variously as a writer, producer and executive producer was the floor Manager on TYD - one of his earliest jobs in television.

Actress, ANNE LUCAS was sister Eve Steele in TYD. She played prison bookie, Faye Quinn in Prisoner and also penned several episodes.

Actress CAROLE SKINNER was Dr Judith Napier in TYD in episodes from 1980. She played the wise cracking triple murderess, Nola McKenzie in Prisoner who bumped off inmate, Paddy Lawson.

ANNA HRUBY who was Paddy Lawson in Prisoner was also in TYD playing the romantic interest of Roger Gorden played by RIC HERBERT. The pair rekindled their TV romance in Prsioner when Herbert also played Paddy's on screen lover, Andy Hudson, whom she met at the Woodridge prison concert.

Manchester born CHRIS ORCHARD was Dr Rod Langley in TYD. In Prisoner he played the dastardly Duncan Campbell who kidnapped Chrissie Latham's baby, Elizabeth.

CHRISTINE HARRIS was stripper turned nurse, Dolly Davis in TYD. In Prisoner she played Governor's daughter, Pippa Reynolds.

BABS McMILLAN who played Army sister Erin Cosgrove for the final 12 months of TYD later turned up at Wentworth playing the tough Cass Parker.

GENEVIEVE LEMON played nurse Zelda Baker from 1982 to 1983 in TYD. She later played practical joker, Marlene Warren in Prisoner.

LISA ALDENHOVEN had a 3 year run in TYD playing nurse Julie Holland. She appears in Prisoner in episode 1 as the tragic Sally Lee who hangs herself.

LYNDA STONER was nurse Kim Barrington in TYD who ended up being shot dead outside the Albert Memorial hospital. In Prisoner she also met a sticky end playing Eve Wilder who is hanged at a kangaroo court being presided over by Lou Kelly.

PETER BENSLEY who played Dr Mike Newman in TYD from 1980 to 1983 played Matt Delaney in Prisoner, one of three male prisoners being held at Wentworth.

Spanish born actor, TONY ALVAREZ was Dr Tony Garcia in TYD. He can be seen in 3 episodes from volume 12 of Prisoner playing a rapist called Tony.

JACKIE WOODBURNE was nurse Maggie Gordon in TYD. In 1985, she was Julie Egbert in Prisoner

BRIAN MOLL played deputy hospital superintendent, Dr Vincent Snape in TYD. He turned up at Wentworth as Mr Spenser, Kay White's solicitor in Prisoner episodes from 1980.

PAULA DUNCAN was popular nurse, Lisa Brooks in TYD. She appears in Prisoner in 1986 as Lorelei Wilkinson who stabs Ernest Craven to death.

SUE MASTERS who produced TYD for its last 12 months later became the producer of Prisoner.

Both CHRIS ADSHEAD and KENDAL FLANAGAN who directed episodes of Prisoner also directed episodes of the Sydney based TYD
mr 420, Demoncrat and cap1010 like this.
Old 20th May 2012, 01:47 PM
Cult Rookie

To add to that extensive TYD list:

Cornelia Frances was loathsome Sister Scott in TYD and played Carmel Saunders in Prisoner. She was Pat O'Connell's solicitor.

She was Barbara Hamilton in soap Sons and Daughters. I loved the OTT storylines in S&D. Loved the cliff-hangers and the sepia freeze at the end of each ep. And it had that great theme tune!

A couple of S&D and Prisoner actor connections:

Rowena Wallace was super-bitch Patricia in S&D and played 'nutty as a fruitcake' Anne Griffin in Prisoner.

Leila Hayes was Beryl is S&D and Georgie Baxter's mum in Prisoner

Michael Long was Stephen Morrell in S&D and played Mick O'Brien in Prisoner, father of Chrissie Latham's daughter Elizabeth.
The~Governor likes this.
Old 20th May 2012, 03:40 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1010 View Post
A couple of S&D and Prisoner actor connections:

Rowena Wallace was super-bitch Patricia in S&D and played 'nutty as a fruitcake' Anne Griffin in Prisoner.

Leila Hayes was Beryl is S&D and Georgie Baxter's mum in Prisoner

Michael Long was Stephen Morrell in S&D and played Mick O'Brien in Prisoner, father of Chrissie Latham's daughter Elizabeth.
Also, ANNE HADDY who was Doreen's dying mother, Alice Hemmings in Prisoner played housekeeper, Rosie Palmer in S&D.

CAROLE SKINNER (Nola) was Doris Hudson and LISA CRITTENDEN (Maxine Daniels) played Leigh Palmer who threw herself under the wheels of a lorry
cap1010 likes this.
Old 20th May 2012, 03:43 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Crime Investigation Australia was one of the very best and hardest hitting true crime documentary series I have ever seen.
Old 21st May 2012, 07:21 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Crime Investigation Australia was one of the very best and hardest hitting true crime documentary series I have ever seen.
What was featured in that, G? I can't say I've heard of it before.
Old 21st May 2012, 11:07 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
What was featured in that, G? I can't say I've heard of it before.
The Crime and Investigation Network on Sky and cable used to show it (may still do, I don't have access any more). It was the best of its kind, that I have seen. I've only seen the first 2 series.

Crime Investigation Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 20th April 2014, 05:10 PM
Cult Rookie

Send a message via Skype™ to Via_The_Void

I'm very fond of the Aussie series of Return To Eden, which featured quite a few ex-prisoners. Jim Smillie who was Dr. Dan Marshall was a solicitor in PCBH, Peta Toppano who played Jilly Stewart was Karen Travers. There were also a few others too, like Wendy Playfair, Olivia Hamnett & John Lee who were in both shows.

I love Return To Eden.

Last edited by Via_The_Void; 20th April 2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 14th May 2015, 01:56 AM
Cult Acolyte

I loved Sons and Daughters!

Wayne Hamilton was my childhood hero. Which is... slightly disturbing.

Like this? Share it using the links below!