Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > The Twilight Zone: Official UK Forum > The Original 1960s Show > Twilight Zone (1960s) Season One In-Depth Episode Guide
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2011, 10:29 AM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

Default Season 1, Episode 21: Mirror Image

Season 1, Episode 21: Mirror Image

Airdate: 26/02/60
Writer: Rod Serling
Director: John Brahm
Starring: Vera Miles, Martin Milner

Millicent Barnes waits in a bus station, headed to her new job in Buffalo, New York. The longer she spends in the bus station the more clues she finds that she seems to have been there before.

Post your thoughts, reviews and comments about the episode and/or BD & DVD release for Mirror Image here!
Old 5th April 2011, 04:55 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

This was probably made at, or before, the same time as Vera Miles was making Psycho and she gives an excellent performance here as someone who may or may not be losing her mind. It's pretty hard to figure out exactly what's going on until the bus pulls up and that bit when she sees the waiting room through the bathroom mirror is genius!
Old 22nd April 2011, 07:49 PM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

This is on of the Episodes of The Twilight Zone that first comes to mind for me when I think of the series.

One great location, one great idea. It could almost be a stage play.

I guess you could say it's a little slow at times, but I really don't mind that.

Bus stations at night have a feeling all of their own. It's a weird limbo. You're in a time you might never see other than lying in bed at home, and a place you can't really settle. You're tired, but you can't really get comfortable, and sometimes you're sharing that space with the lost souls that again, you never notice in the day.

Then add to that the whole doppelganger thing. It's a piece of folklore that I've always found fascinating and rather chilling. Read about it here:

Doppelgänger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great episode, with a very chilling ending. No answers.
Old 22nd April 2011, 10:03 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Probably my favourite episode from the first season, the slow pace is no bother to me either, as it only adds to the heightening confusion (and eventual panic) felt by Miles, as her obviously troubled mind tries to piece together what's happening.

The Doppelgänger mythos is an interesting one, and I love how this episode ends.
Old 15th May 2011, 05:19 PM
Cult Rookie

I loved this episode:
some random thoughts : I like the device of the suitcase moving around, the reveal in the mirror and most importantly the bit where the camera pans across to show the 'double' sitting on the bus. I found it really unnerving.
Old 2nd June 2011, 08:10 AM
Cultist

Watched this episode late last night and found it really spooky. The scene were she sees her other self in the mirror is truly chilling. I found myself lying in bed wondering what happens to the real you when your Doppelganger is out? Do you just disappear? The end running effect was a bit ropey though!
Old 20th July 2011, 11:45 AM
Cult Rookie

Default women in lead roles

another episode with a woman in the central role and very powerful her performance was as well. As already suggested this is quite play-like and I just love this sort of theatrical episode. I think this sort of episode really empowered the actor or actress to really stretch themselves and really get into the character. excellent performance.

Like this? Share it using the links below!