Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > The Twilight Zone: Official UK Forum > The 1980s Show > Twilight Zone (1980s) Season One In-Depth Episode Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th July 2011, 07:24 AM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

Default Season 1, Episode 7.2: Paladin of the Lost Hour

Season 1, Episode 7.2: Paladin of the Lost Hour

Airdate: 08/11/85
Writer: Harlan Ellison
Director: Gilbert Cates (Credited as Alan Smithee)
Starring: Danny Kaye

Mr. Gaspar is the protector of a magical timepiece, a pocket watch that holds The Last Hour.

Post your thoughts, reviews and comments about the episode and DVD release for Paladin of the Lost Hour here!

Last edited by TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs; 20th July 2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 20th July 2011, 06:56 PM

It'd be interesting to hear about why this got credited to Alan Smithee, whatever the issue, I think it turned into rather a nice episode.

Good concept, but most of all I like it for Danny Kaye. Truly a man from another time by this point, but still with that twinkle in his eye. Add to that the sweet and believable friendship between the two men. Very good I thought.
Old 20th July 2011, 07:15 PM
Cultist

Default a step up

Just watched this episode. This was a real step up in quality of story, character and most of all acting.

The piece where he describes his war trauma was world class. Hopefully the rest of the series will lean closer to the overall quality of this episode.

Most of all i think this episode had a genuinely moving ending full of the bitter sweet sensation of loss and aceptance and moving on.

A real gem, and one i think Rod himself would have been proud of.

F:S
Old 20th July 2011, 07:57 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs View Post
It'd be interesting to hear about why this got credited to Alan Smithee, whatever the issue, I think it turned into rather a nice episode.

Good concept, but most of all I like it for Danny Kaye. Truly a man from another time by this point, but still with that twinkle in his eye. Add to that the sweet and believable friendship between the two men. Very good I thought.
Isn't Alan Smithee a name director's use when they disown their work? Strange considering this was very good. Like you say Tom it was great to see Danny Kaye. Took me back to my childhood watching his films on a Sunday afternoon with my dad.
Old 20th July 2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the human man View Post
Isn't Alan Smithee a name director's use when they disown their work?
Yes mate. Usually after some sort of trouble surrounding the filming; interference and so on. I have a book about New Twilight Zone, I'll have a look to see if anything's in there.
Old 21st July 2011, 01:29 PM

Okay, it seems that the director Gilbert Cates took his name off it because the executive producer Philip DeGuire edited his cut. Wonder what the original cut was like.

Like this? Share it using the links below!