Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > The Twilight Zone: Official UK Forum > The 1980s Show > Twilight Zone (1980s) Season One In-Depth Episode Guide
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th August 2011, 11:25 AM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

Default Season 1, Episode 20.2: Button Button

Season 1, Episode 20.2: Button Button

Airdate: March 7th, 1986
Writer: Richard Matheson
Director: Peter Medak
Starring: Mare Winningham, Brad Davis

A stranger gives a down-and-out couple a box with a button on it. He states that if they press the button, they would receive a large sum of money but also that someone would die. (This story was remade into the 2009 film "The Box".)

Post your thoughts, reviews and comments about the episode and DVD release for Button Button here!
Old 6th August 2011, 06:58 PM
Cultist

This was my favorite from my youthful VHS days, looking forward to seeing how it stands up.

F:S
Old 8th August 2011, 07:33 PM
Cultist

Very enjoyable but I found Brad Davis' stuttering performance slightly annoying. A bit George McFly for my liking. When the Richard Kelly 'The Box' movie come out I read it was based on a TZ episode, I automatically thought it was an original series episode.
Old 9th August 2011, 06:51 PM
Cultist

Its hard to believe this wasnt based on an original episode.

Everything is there, only 3 characters a married couple comprising one unconfident husband and an overbaring wife along side a mysterious man.

All set in one appartment this episode also has a deciptively simple premise that asks very complex questions.

Definitely a stand out episode IMO.

The film this was based on - The Box is worth a watch, but be warned it does get a bit bizarre towards the end.

Old 9th August 2011, 07:45 PM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

I agree; it's one of those great simple premises that as soon as you hear it you think, "wow, I really want to know how this is going to work out".

I see where you're coming from The Human Man, I think both of their performances undermined the tension a bit.

Thankfully though, the story shone through.
Old 9th August 2011, 07:52 PM
Cultist

I can just imagine what this would be like in the original series. With two craggy faced character actors and the black and white adding to the tension. I always wondered why Brad Davis never became a big star after Midnight Express and his over acting in this explains why.
Old 9th August 2011, 07:53 PM
Cultist

I think I remember reading somewhere that there was an alternate ending for this one where her husband dies because she never really knew him.

Prefer the ending they used in the episode though.

Like this? Share it using the links below!