Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th June 2009, 09:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Drag Me to Hell (2009)

So - anyone else seen this?

Went to see it a few nights ago and really enjoyed it. It was great
to see Sam Raimi making more of an old fashioned horror with real scares and little or no cgi. It's also very refreshing to see something that isn't another crappy remake, or an hour and a half of somebody being tortured. Highly recommended.

Last edited by Mojo; 10th June 2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10th June 2009, 08:22 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Saw this too!

A great riot of a film. Really liked it. It certainly has it's Evil Dead moments! Although, I have to disagree about the lack of CGI, it was full of CGI!!

Lot's of scares in this one, i will be getting this on DVD!
Old 10th June 2009, 08:24 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Not seen it yet but was strongly considering it, after reading the positive outcomes I will go see it friday or sat for sure.
Old 10th June 2009, 09:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I normally avoid most modern horror movies but i have to admit i want to see this one.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 10th June 2009, 11:25 AM
Cult Acolyte

According to Sam Raimi and effects guy Greg Nicotero, the vast majority of effects were created by KNB creature effects, including ( excellent ) puppet heads, gruesome make-up and so on. Obviously there is going to be some cgi stuff, but nothing major ( or intrusive ) in the way that's seen in most of today's glossy crap. To say it's full of cgi is very misleading, imo.
Like loops, I'm not that bothered about modern horror either, but maybe the success of this will pave the way to a return to 'scary' horror, rather than Saw types and remakes.
I'll certainly be getting the dvd of this, too.
Old 10th June 2009, 11:38 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Sam even gives us a nice homage to evil dead 2 in a hilarious eyepopping scene.

Saw this on day of release,double billed it with the brit horror tormented(hilarious in its awfulness)and most of the patrons were either teens or couples.What a laugh,young lasses constantly screaming out,nervous laughter throughout the cinema and some genuine scary scenes added to the overall enjoyment of this flick.
Go see!
Old 10th June 2009, 12:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

It is full of CGI, a lot of effects had CGI written all over them. But you're right there's plenty of traditional effects there too.

Like this? Share it using the links below!