Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's

Like Tree110Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th April 2013, 06:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Evil Dead took $26m in its first weekend topping the US box office.

Weekend Box Office Results for April 5-7, 2013 - Box Office Mojo
Old 7th April 2013, 06:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

KERCHING! New franchise alert . . .
Old 8th April 2013, 10:29 AM
Cult Acolyte

I'm quite stoked to see this new version of The Evil Dead now, what with all these good reviews coming in.I will probably wait until it hits Blu-ray though, as I hardly go to the cinema nowadays.
Old 8th April 2013, 05:32 PM
Seasoned Cultist

hi guys,looking forward to the remake,but not sure what to expect.
must see this on the big screen!
Old 8th April 2013, 07:27 PM
Cultist

Saw it at a press show today. Was really excited after the initial teaser and avoided ALL other trailers / featurettes etc, which I'd advise as that trailer already took the sting out of several key sequences.

It's going to be this year's Prometheus - many will HATE it, despite some undeniably excellent stand-alone moments. Alot of it is just too stupid, it messes with the mythos in a really daft way, the acting and script are pretty dire (don't get me started on the way the deadites - if you can call them that - act, look and talk), and some of it feels more like an Exorcist remake than Evil Dead.

They have stuck to their guns with the non-CGI gore though - it's not quite as impressive as I'd hoped (curious to see if much has been cut from the UK one in the same way as the US R-rated cut), but judged on its own terms it has a good few intense sequences. It's not very scary though, and feels too polished in some regards and too much like a straight-to-video title in others.

I'll go see it again with friends when it's out, should be a laugh with a crowd, but I'd say to anyone who (like me) has got their hopes up from the teaser etc - lower them and you should enjoy it, just don't expect it to blow you away. It's firmly in the 2003 Texas Chainsaw remake category for me - technically impressive in many places but just doesn't 'get' the original vibes right and falls way short the further it goes along.
Old 8th April 2013, 08:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

Just back from a preview screening and I really enjoyed it. It was bloody, gory and I felt a pretty good remake! Up there with Dawn of the Dead and Texas remakes. Make sure you stay till the end of the credits as well!
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com
Old 8th April 2013, 09:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGunnar Hansen View Post
Alot of it is just too stupid,the acting and script are pretty dire non-CGI gore thoughIt's not very scary though, too much like a straight-to-video title in others.

I should be a laugh with a crowd, .
Sounds just like the original to me.
Old 8th April 2013, 10:06 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Sounds just like the original to me.
The original was actually scary though, and nowhere near as derivative as this. I know that sounds ridiculous when talking about a remake, but this new one rips off everything from The Ring to The Exorcist - the biggest problem is the 'deadites', they're just not very menacing and the way they're dispatched is a cop-out. Don't even get me started on the fate of the main one. I don't know, it just didn't work for me very well, wish it had!
Old 20th June 2013, 10:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Interview with everyone's favourite S-Mart employee regarding the home video release of Evil Dead and the possibility of AOD2

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/679...ess-2?page=0,1
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 11th August 2013, 02:44 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Just come across this video on YouTube and thought I'd share it with you guys. It's an early short staring Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell! Definelty a big influence on Evil Dead 2 -

Demoncrat and trebor8273 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!