Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th January 2012, 06:59 AM
Cult Master

Is the animated film, 'Resident Evil: Degeneration' not considered canon?

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 25th January 2012, 07:17 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Is the animated film, 'Resident Evil: Degeneration' not considered canon?
Good question, technically it's not as it doesn't fit in amongst the storyline of the films but I'd still have it sitting alongside the films on my shelf.
It's a great film too if anyone has yet to see it, much more in line with the games and it's generally creepy. The animation is top notch, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

As for all the films I'm firmly in the 'Like/Love' camp. They're all fun in their own unique way and I like the fact that each film has a slightly different tone and setting from the last yet keeps with the storyline. Nothing felt repetitive to me.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 25th January 2012, 07:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

There is sh*t that I hate and sh*t that I quite enjoy (on screen that is, I haven’t got a dirty fetish). Both the Fast and the Furious and Resi Evil franchises do what they say on the tin. They deliver what they promise. They don’t pretend to be high art or even the best in their genres. They’re not Oscar winners, they’re derided by most, yet are still popular. They’re popcorn fodder that are nicely undemanding. I look forward to seeing the next one on Blu-ray and hope they don’t eff with the simple format.

As for Milla; attractive woman but not my type. I prefer the fuller figured woman. In Afterlife, I complained that the cute brunette, with big thrupenny bits, got killed far too early
Old 25th January 2012, 12:37 PM
Cultist

An at best mediocre franchise that I confess to enjoying as a guilty pleasure. So I'll be there for the new film with one of these

I just wish they would ditch that hack Anderson and get a talent with vision to get a reboot into development that is faithful to the source material of the video games. Maybe we might at least get a decent movie that is real horror.

UPDATED WEEKLY
Old 25th January 2012, 01:00 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
An at best mediocre franchise that I confess to enjoying as a guilty pleasure. So I'll be there for the new film with one of these

I just wish they would ditch that hack Anderson and get a talent with vision to get a reboot into development that is faithful to the source material of the video games. Maybe we might at least get a decent movie that is real horror.

Wouldn't be terribly faithful to the last couple of entries in the franchise then
Old 25th January 2012, 01:08 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Wouldn't be terribly faithful to the last couple of entries in the franchise then
Well, a film adaptation that explores the roots of the video games during the days of the ps1 and ps2 then. That would be real horror. I'm not a gamer at all but the games I played were those early ones, and they had a really great creepy atmosphere that encapsulated all the convensions the zombie sub-genre very well.
PaulD likes this.

UPDATED WEEKLY

Last edited by DaveJ.W; 25th January 2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 25th January 2012, 04:01 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I love the Resi movies, i totally agree with Wayfarer, they're pure popcorn fodder, sure they're bad but they're enjoyable bad and im looking forward to the new one but i do agree that it's about time they lost Anderson and got someone fresh behind it. If anyone here has read Romero's original script they would know that that film would have been huge but alas we have to put up with alice. Jovovich is nice to look at though.
wayfarer likes this.
Old 25th January 2012, 04:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

As bad as the Resi films are, the dialogue is nowhere near as bad as in the original game:

Bad dialogue aside, the first game is still a classic.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 25th January 2012, 04:06 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
As bad as the Resi films are, the dialogue is nowhere near as bad as in the original game:

Bad dialogue aside, the first game is still a classic.

The first game is the only one out of the main series which I haven't played. I really must rectify this.

As for the films, I get all the popcorn fodder remarks but I just can't get into them. The first one was so-so once I got over the initial disappointment of it not being like them games but the last one was absolutely painful to watch.
Old 25th January 2012, 05:01 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
I love the Resi movies, i totally agree with Wayfarer, they're pure popcorn fodder, sure they're bad but they're enjoyable bad and im looking forward to the new one but i do agree that it's about time they lost Anderson and got someone fresh behind it. If anyone here has read Romero's original script they would know that that film would have been huge but alas we have to put up with alice. Jovovich is nice to look at though.
There's nothing wrong with enjoying tripe as passable entertainment as long the viewer knows what they're watching is exactly that - tripe! And you obviously do. However, if somebody is under the delusion that these flicks are great feats of filmmaking then we should be worried for them.

It's bollocks that the studio ditched George A. Romero for a rent a director like Paul Anderson. Romero single handily created the modern interpretation of the zombie as well as helping to shape the modern horror genre as a whole. Apparently, they didn't like his approach to the material because it was too faithful, instead opting to go for Anderson's shitetastic action take. Still, it's proved a big cash cow for them.

Milla Jovovich is a fine actress but she does nothing for me in the looks department. Meh.

UPDATED WEEKLY

Like this? Share it using the links below!