Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Scyther

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st February 2012, 02:22 PM
Blogs Moderator

Default Blood Car (2007)

“THIS IS THE BEST GODDAMN INDIE MOVIE EVER!” – ARROW IN THE HEAD.

The award winning debut feature from director Alex Orr, the pitch-black comedy Blood Car mixes surrealist humour, sharp social commentary, kinky sex and buckets of blood to create “an absolutely hilarious satire that throws in South Park-type perversity and Evil Dead-style splatter while keeping its heart in the right place” (Total Sci-Fi Online).

Winner of numerous awards, including the New Visions Award at the Cinequest Film Festival and the Best Narrative Feature Film awards at the Chicago Underground Film Festival and the Philadelphia First Glance Film Festival, and starring Anna Chlumsky (best known for her charming starring role in My Girl two decades ago), Mike Brune (Van Wilder: Freshman Year) and Katie Rowlett (her feature debut), Blood Car is an independent horror-comedy gem that fully deserves to be rewarded with the cult status accorded to the films of Roger Corman, Frank Henenlotter, John Waters and Russ Meyer.

It is the very near future and global petrol prices have rocketed so high that the average person can no longer afford to drive. A geeky vegan, Archie Andrews (Brune) is a primary schoolteacher by profession but spends his spare hours trying to develop an engine that can run on the wheatgrass he buys from local stallholder, Lorraine (Chlumsky). During his research, Archie accidentally discovers that his latest prototype engine runs most efficiently not on wheatgrass but on human blood. When his newfound auto-mobility attracts the amorous attentions of slut-about-town and meat stall owner Denise (Rowlett) – Lorraine’s rival in both matters of love and commerce – Archie’s libido prompts him to do whatever it takes to keep his car on the road, even if it means resorting to cold-blooded murder.

Blood Car is “a dark, twisted and damn funny movie which blends bloody portions of horror, humour and political satire” (Twitch) into a story that audaciously and occasionally offensively pokes fun at modern society’s dependence upon petrol, the search for a suitable replacement form of energy and the corrupting nature of power and wealth.

Blood Car is released by Left Films and will open selected cinemas around the UK from 24th February 2012.

Old 1st February 2012, 05:54 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Had this on R1 DVD for years - why is it only now getting a UK cinema release?
Old 1st February 2012, 06:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched this on Horror Channel few week back thought it was extremely Terrible film..
Old 10th February 2012, 02:41 PM
Blogs Moderator

I have time for people making the most of scant resources, so I liked the energy and wit of this movie.

I shared a stack of reviews for the movie here:

BLOOD CAR: Laugh Out Loud Funny
Old 10th February 2012, 06:46 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

A Hot Anna Chulmsky sold this to me, will be watching it. Looks alright.
Old 10th February 2012, 09:03 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
A Hot Anna Chulmsky sold this to me, will be watching it.
Hell yeah!
Old 15th February 2012, 01:14 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Didn't mind this one at all. Found it for like 2 USD at a rental store's going out of business sale! Nice, dark humor and Anna Chlumsky is absolutely gorgeous in this! <3 <3 <3
Sam@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 17th February 2012, 12:04 PM
Blogs Moderator

I love killer car movies

BLOOD CAR: CARS THAT KILL! KILL! KILL!
Old 25th February 2012, 11:47 AM
Blogs Moderator

Blood Car is in UK Cinemas now.

Check out great reviews here:

BLOOD CAR: IN CINEMAS NOW!

Like this? Share it using the links below!