Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's

Poll: Best?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Best?

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th December 2011, 05:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phurious View Post
And even though it's treason I think Van Sant's remake is pretty decent and he did a very good job of defending it on Mark Cousin's The Story Of Film recently.
Oh cool, I've fallen way behind with that series, so look forward to that. Secretly loved the Psycho remake since I saw it at the cinema with a bunch of mates from school (they all hated it cuz it wasn't Scream) . . .
Old 16th December 2011, 06:04 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Oh cool, I've fallen way behind with that series, so look forward to that. Secretly loved the Psycho remake since I saw it at the cinema with a bunch of mates from school (they all hated it cuz it wasn't Scream) . . .
Haha - I have so much more respect for them hating it for not being Scream as opposed to not being Hitchcock's original

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 16th December 2011, 06:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phurious View Post
Haha - I have so much more respect for them hating it for not being Scream as opposed to not being Hitchcock's original
Well yeah, a bunch of school kids in 1998 - probably most of em never heard of the fella! I remember on the remake dvd, there's a bit with a bunch of 'young people' talking heads pretending (unconvincingly) they've never heard of Hitchcock Luckily I had my cool grandad to thank for introducing me to his work many years before . . .
Phurious likes this.
Old 16th December 2011, 06:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

...by the way, I didn't read the bottom option in the poll before I voted for the remake Goes without saying original is best - it even feels wrong to call it the 'original' in a series - it's just the one stone cold classic, and a bunch of other films that happen to share a main character . . .
Old 16th December 2011, 11:25 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I was surprised at how good all the sequels are.

None of them take anything away from the original film or leave you with a sour taste in the mouth, unlike, say, the Star Wars films or the Matrix sequels.

I'm not saying they add anything to the classic original, but they are all deserving of the name and can easily be watched all together, with the original in a Psycho movie marathon.
I agree up until the 4th one which I think is pretty damn pooey. It goes into far too much detail about things that would be best left to the imagination as far as I'm concerned.
Old 16th December 2011, 11:46 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Is pooey a technical term?
PaulD likes this.
Old 17th December 2011, 02:14 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I saw Psycho 2 on the big screen and I still rate it better than Hitchcock's original. Then again, I think Savini's remake of Night of the Living Dead is better.

I'll even go on record as saying I think Psycho 2 is the best of the sequels.
Phurious likes this.
Old 17th December 2011, 07:07 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

When it comes to sequels,Psycho 2 is up there with Aliens,The Empire Strikes Back and Godfather Part II......

Ooh,how 'postmodern'.....
Phurious likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 17th December 2011, 08:56 AM
Cultist in Training

Psycho 2 is the better of the sequels I think I watched it before the original when I was younger.
Old 17th December 2011, 10:20 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I'll even go on record as saying I think Psycho 2 is the best of the sequels.
I agree and whereas i confess Hitchcock's original has never been a fave of mine, Franklin's sequel has always had my approval. I seem to recall enjoying the third entry too upon initial viewing on VHS back in the '80s but yours truly never bothered catching the fourth film or Van Sant's reputedly risible remake.

The only title i own in the Psycho series is the second installment on R1 DVD and i may well go for this likeable effort on BR should such a release ever surface sooner or later.

Like this? Share it using the links below!