Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > The 10th Victim

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Demdike@Cult Labs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th March 2014, 09:28 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default SHAM500: The 10th Victim - Your Thoughts!

Hello Shameless fans!

Who here has picked up the new DVD/Blu-ray release of The 10th Victim? Isn't it gorgeous!!!

Now that this Shameless release is out, here's a thread to share your thoughts about the movie. From a simple one-line review, to a few paragraphs. Let us know your thoughts below...

Old 11th March 2014, 02:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Here's the review i posted over the weekend on another thread.

The 10th Victim (1965)

This is The Big Hunt. A deadly reality TV game show which selects both hunter and victim from participants; the two then chase one another around the globe. Kill your 10th victim and you'll want for nothing ever again.

Based on Robert Sheckley's short story The Seventh Victim. Elio Petri's version of events is a massive triumph of style over substance. A few minor set pieces aside The 10th Victim is hardly the most exciting film in the Most Dangerous Game bracket. However the film just bleeds cool. It's two stars Ursula Andress and Marcello Mastroianni were at the height of their fashionista popularity. Petri knows this and utilizes it to his strengths. At times its as though his photography is coming at us straight from the glossy pages of Vogue. Piero Piccioni's score is also a major player in the film. Often repetitive, yet catchy as hell, it's looping through my head 18 hours later as i type in a whirl of retro cool.

The film is brilliantly photographed using techniques such as unusual angles to build shots, positively forcing the viewer to keep their eyes on the screen and in particular the effervescent Andress and the suave Mastroianni. Aside from a set up sequence in New York the film was primarily filmed in Rome often on location. The Forum and Colosseum are used effectively especially the Forum in the bullet strewn climax. Admittedly location work in Ancient Rome hardly sounds like sci-fi so Petri mixes in other areas of the Italian capitol and the film really does travel into the future with filming taking place on weird and wonderful rooftops and areas with magnificent white block stone structures, all in a lavish technicolor panorama. (Except red - oddly, the colour red is strangely absent in much of The 10th Victim)

The 10th Victim has a rare commodity, especially for sci-fi at the time. It managed to predict the 21st century's mania for a televised contest and reality show voyeurism as film crews follow the contestants around to capture their kills for audiences to lap up and discuss rabidly round the water cooler the next day.

Being dvd only i obviously watched the dvd of the new Shameless release and was a little gobsmacked to say the least at the quality of the picture upscaled by my player. It looked beautiful. I can only imagine how magnificent the blu-ray disc looks. I'm sure my BU dvd isn't as attractive as this release.

A highly influential film, The 10th Victim is required pop art viewing and a superb addition to the Shameless catalogue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51TDMS8EtTL.jpg (14.9 KB, 36 views)
iluvdvds@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 11th March 2014, 09:30 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yep really enjoyed it.
There's more than a few films pinched or borrowed an idea from it.

Oh and Shameless have did a lovely job of the transfer.Looks superb!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!