View Single Post
Old 25th January 2008, 06:27 AM
Active Cultist

Okay the argument for Cyclone..

Cyclone attempts to walk the fine line between exploitation and mainstream but attempts this while drunk. The results.. the film starts off straight down the line veers in and out of exploitation land then falls down firmly in the exploitation camp. it is not a widely known film over here but given the right exposure could prove as notorious as cannibal holocaust. There were stories that real human bodies were fed to sharks in that film though I am not sure, just when you think you are dealing with mainstream disaster movie (with added cannibalism) a scene at about 1hr 13 will floor you- such scenes build noteriety.

The set up is typical disaster movie in that all classes and walks of life are represented though this has a class struggle undercurrent with upper class dog owner who insists her dog (christmas) should have a ration and the middle class liberal tourists who decide to share then the fishermen who as workers take a practical approach to their situation.

The uestion they seem to be pre occupied with is it oky to eat the flesh of the dead to sustain their life. The priest says no, but its okay to use it as fishing bait apparently - this i the philosophy we are dealing with in Cyclone.

A mexican/italian coproduction it features max out of hart to hart as a wealthy anti union company boss and the bearded dude out of nightmare city.

this film deserves far more recognition than it currently gets ..

rgumnts againt, I am not sure rene carona jr or cylone is a well known title here, but it is reviewed in jay slater's zombie and cannibal book- i think there it is refered to as an exploitation quickie, i disagree - its a modern telling of the ragged trousered philanthropists with dog violence and sharks.

a good revivew of cyclone here:

http://www.epinions.com/content_3593...kin_id=8003929

My blog has moved house: Italian Film Review Blog

Last edited by herman; 25th January 2008 at 07:02 AM.