View Single Post
Old 18th November 2010, 08:04 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
It's funny how some films depend so much on the environment in which you see them. Saw Buried at the weekend and, while I think it's one of the best films I've seen all year, I think it only works in a darkened cinema.

Unless of course you have the capacity to completely black out your living room!
I agree Sarah. The first time I was aware of the movie was in the US. I was excited at being able to see The Phantom Menace a month before the UK, while I was in Everett, Washington. (My good mood would deteriorate after watching TPM). Just before TPM started, an odd teaser trailer came on for a film I hadn’t heard of, suggesting it was based on real events.
Eventually, I attended a special screening at the Barbican. Everyone that was there, wanted to be there, so the atmosphere was quite reverential and respectful, instead of taco chomping, crisp packet rustlers that you get in the average cinema.
For the most part I felt like I was watching a loud American girl whinging for 90 minutes and I asked myself why I was there watching this. It was the punchline ending that got me and the feeling afterwards, reflecting on what I had seen. I last saw it, on DVD, a year ago. That will be the last time I watch it, it doesn’t work at all after a number of repeated viewings.
What I liked most about the series, was the mythology behind it. I’ve seen all the “documentaries” focusing on the Blair Witch and the whole thing’s quite clever.
Is the Blu-Ray going to include the extended version that was touted a couple of years back?