View Single Post
Old 15th January 2011, 12:51 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
Once upon a time, horror fans would freak over cuts to a movie and there could be no defending them. What kind of crazy, upside-down, Twilight Zone world do we live in, in which a cut release is defending?

(Btw, I'm not trying to start crap, just making an observation of the Bizarre. I really don't care if folks wanna buy it or not -- I'm just wondering/stating aloud online is all. I grew up watching movies/filmmakers/etc. battle with the MPAA in the US throughout the 80s and 90s over cuts/obsenity/etc. and can't recall anyone ever doing this back then. It's really difficult for me to wrap my head around. And, also btw, no flame-wars or commentaries on Shameless or its fans intended. Ok? Ok!)
I don't think anyone is defending the cuts per say. What's equally bizarre is just that it's a fact of life in the UK that this has to be cut and who knows whether that will ever change with the BBFC's stance on sexualised violence. There's no point ostracising Shameless for it (not that I'm suggesting in the slightest that's what is happening ) and it's just something that has to be taken unfortunately. When it comes to home video, the UK has been a lot worse off throughout the years than the USA. Things have improved greatly but let's just accept that, in this case, the cuts are non-debatable.

I think the point here is that Shameless are putting a lot of effort into the release still and what's piqued my interest more than anything is the extra footage. I already have the BU version and I'm quite happy to double dip for what will be an interesting variation. Some have put down this release and then want Shameless to explore their wish list on BD. I'm sure what else comes along will be dependant on the success of NYR so it's a vicious circle.

As for how it's been cut/edited, I will add my own comment having watched the dvd that it is very well done. Once again, it's not a defence, just an observation that they've made the best out of a bad situation.