View Single Post
Old 24th January 2011, 09:35 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Oh my bad
sorry the word Mondo makes me think about movies such as Trances of death etc or any movie that is just a load of clips that show people/animals dead or dying. Imo its morbid if its like what I just said.
Absolutely, the word Mondo certainly does conjure up the shocking clips you see in those Traces and Faces films. Those later films that featured real deaths and gruesome footage of people getting injured etc are more akin to a 'mixtape' of scenes aimed purely to shock.

The original Mondo Cane films are basically 'travelogue' films showing different cultures around the world, at the time most folks hadn't left their home town let alone visited another country so they were extremely popular as they showed what life was like in other countries and highlighted some of the peculiar differences in those cultures. The first film even has a long scene showing girls in bikinis exercising on the beach. No decaptiations of prisoners being exectued in any of them!

There is a slant to the darker side of life, hence the title Mondo cane (A Dog's World), but it's nothing that shocking. A turtle can't find it's way to the sea and dies in the desert being possibly the grimmest thing in the first film.