View Single Post
Old 5th October 2008, 07:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween_22 View Post
This states that the version of MSP submitted to the BBFC is 105 minutes long. Isn't the uncut/ directors cut only around 90 minutes long?

Another film which would be flat out rejected would be 'August Undergrounds Mordum'. I have no doubt about that, if they cut it it would have to be about 10 minutes long. I know you meant cinema releases before but even with DVD releases, I dosen't seem theres much that would be flat out rejected these days. In all honesty, I was actually quite surprised MSP was banned, cuts would have surely been sufficient IMO.

QUOTE=Halloween_22;15140]This states that the version of MSP submitted to the BBFC is 105 minutes long. Isn't the uncut/ directors cut only around 90 minutes long?

Another film which would be flat out rejected would be 'August Undergrounds Mordum'. I have no doubt about that, if they cut it it would have to be about 10 minutes long. I know you meant cinema releases before but even with DVD releases, I dosen't seem theres much that would be flat out rejected these days. In all honesty, I was actually quite surprised MSP was banned, cuts would have surely been sufficient IMO.
The version of Murder Set Pieces that was submitted to the BBFC was the unrated US theatrical version, which as mentioned was much longer. This was actually a work print as the director simply didn't have time to edit the film which he later did for the DVD. The theatrical version overall is actually stronger in terms of violence. It's incredible that some body would have taken the time to submit this to the BBFC. I saw the film shortly before the BBFC did and could see that it had no chance whatsoever.

The MPAA cut 23m for the R version, the cuts the BBFC would have made would have been very similar. But unlike the BBFC the MPAA do not reject films. The BBFC like to have the option of rejecting a film if it is very difficult. According to Variety they did spend a great deal of time with MSP working out exactly what had to go but in the end gave up. I think if they had passed it people would have said "with cuts like that they may as well have banned it".

To be honest though I was actually a little disappointed that they did reject it because I was curious to see exactly what they would have cut.

As to whether they would have passed it for cinema - I think that would have been unlikely but one can never be sure. It would certainly have had to be cut anyway.