View Single Post
Old 30th May 2011, 11:10 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Two days ago, I had a double bill: Michael Reeves' The She-Beast followed by Cry of the Banshee of Gordon Hessler.

The first one I consider one of the best horror comedies ever - quite a few years before The Evil Dead (and with much more naturalness, if you ask me) and with my favourite subject to make fun of: communism. I will watch it again very soon - and have a good laugh for the second time. Highly recommended!

The latter is a very interesting entry in Vincent Price's long (and fantastic) filmography. I think it has some trouble with the pace for the first 50 minutes, but altogether it was a good film to watch - a very charismatic Price, an interesting approach to the witchhunting subject and nice cinematography. I recommend watching it together with The Witchfinder General by Reeves - those two flicks share as much similarities as they differ from each other. Note that John Coquillon (sic!) was responsible for the camera work in both.

Yesterday, I watched the original I Spit On Your Grave. Quite strong stuff indeed, and to be blunt: not very enjoyable to watch. But movies don't have to be funny or enjoyable all the time - if they reach you emotionally, they work. And this flick IS affecting you, I can guarantee. Nothing for a happy evening with friends, but a strong and really tough entry in the Rape and Revenge-genre. I despise self justice, but I can understand every single thing the leading lady is doing in this flick - and I say this as a male person who had quite an unpleasant feeling at one certain infamous bath tube scene; forget about Marat!

Greetings!
The original title of I spit on your grave was Day of the woman, which is far more fitting.