View Single Post
Old 5th June 2011, 07:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeliriarte View Post
wait, wait, wait, wait. so they've removed the death of the muskrat but not the tarantula machete scene? this makes no sense. i think the way the film-makers behaved (and it's pretty inarguable that animals were harmed for the purposes of Cannibal Holocaust) is quite disgraceful and it's mainly for this reason that I don't rate the film as highly as some. There are always more creative solutions to these kinds of problems. in terms of censorship and taste, well the BFI have a PG cerificate on a documentary called The Animal Film which is basically a collection of stock footage of experiments conducted on animals. it's truly awful but the fact remains that the audience are quite capable of deciding what is within their boundaries of taste. The Animal Film is designed to be informative which marks it out slightly from Cannibal Holocaust but certainly people are aware of animal cruelty, it's entirely up to them if they want to watch it. however, if it's presented as fictitious (a la Cannibal Holocaust) I think an audience should be made very aware that ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS PICTURE because I believe the ethics of the film-makers in this instance are in all the wrong places and they should be judged accordingly.
No one forces you to buy or watch it. An 18 rated notorious video nasty is never gonna be watched by a large portion of the population, so let us sit back and enjoy Deodato' finest. The funny thing is I don't like the animal scenes myself, but I still rate it very highly indeed. But I agree that some will never find it palatable. I used to know a couple of guys involved in animal rights demo's, they would be even more assertive than you. So we'll agree to differ, whatever you do don't watch 'Ferox' you'll find that even more objectionable.