View Single Post
Old 15th June 2011, 02:44 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
It chronicles the activities of a misogynist - I mean, the killer obviously hates women, so he's not going to be kind and gentle to his victims, is he? But, in all honesty, for the film to actually be misogynistic would mean that its sole remit as a film would be to get the viewer to hate women. Well, it doesn't really do that, does it?
No, I don't think anyone is confusing misogynistic films with films about misogynists. B

I think your next sentence is a strange and sweeping statement though. Whilst I'm sure we would all agree that 'Virgin Witch' is a pretty misogynistic film, I can't imagine that anyone would think its sole purpose (or purpose to any degree) was to make people hate women! But it's still misogynistic. It also happens to be a film that I enjoy, despite this flaw (and a hundred others ).

As Calum says, intent is another issue. The fact Jim Davidson doesn't think that he's racist hardly means that he's not racist...
Meaning is never black and white, but I think that's why this is an interesting debate - though sorry to be off-topic!

Last edited by TheOwlsAreNotWhatTheySeem; 15th June 2011 at 02:56 AM.