View Single Post
Old 16th June 2011, 12:16 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOwlsAreNotWhatTheySeem View Post
No, I don't think anyone is confusing misogynistic films with films about misogynists. B

I think your next sentence is a strange and sweeping statement though. Whilst I'm sure we would all agree that 'Virgin Witch' is a pretty misogynistic film, I can't imagine that anyone would think its sole purpose (or purpose to any degree) was to make people hate women! But it's still misogynistic. It also happens to be a film that I enjoy, despite this flaw (and a hundred others ).

As Calum says, intent is another issue. The fact Jim Davidson doesn't think that he's racist hardly means that he's not racist...
Meaning is never black and white, but I think that's why this is an interesting debate - though sorry to be off-topic!
Misogyny, by definition, means hatred of women. I don't think Virgin Witch falls into the category of hating women, although it certainly may exploit them for the male audience. But is that the same as hatred?

NYR is about a man who kills women because he hates them, but it's not a film solely about hating women, it merely shows a misogynistic killer at work. But it also portrays the males as being rather unlikeable and shallow too, so where's the accusations of misandry? In fact, in NYR, most of the players are hateful and unlikeable, so its world-view is more akin to misanthropy.

Well, whatever the case, I enjoy these films and haven't yet found myself hating women or even treating them as lower class citizens or sex objects. So I can safely say these films have had zero effect on my world-view whatsoever. It's fiction, I don't take them seriously. In fact, I'm far more troubled by modern rom-coms that present women as ditzy, rather shallow creatures whilst the men are neanderthals who have to be trained to meet women's requirements. It's truly bizarre the stuff coming out of Hollywood at the moment.