View Single Post
Old 16th June 2011, 11:22 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Misogyny, by definition, means hatred of women. I don't think Virgin Witch falls into the category of hating women, although it certainly may exploit them for the male audience. But is that the same as hatred?
Again, i don't recognise that definition. Anything that expresses a negative view towards women in general might be considered misogynist. Someone who for example thinks women are inferior to men is obviously misogynist, whether or not they hate women. Maybe there is another thread about 'virgin witch'? (but it is one film unusual in that it actually seems to actively normalise sexual harassment - ie the incredibly random scene where a passer-by pinches a girl's backside and she giggles!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Well, whatever the case, I enjoy these films and haven't yet found myself hating women or even treating them as lower class citizens or sex objects. So I can safely say these films have had zero effect on my world-view whatsoever. It's fiction, I don't take them seriously.

...I'm far more troubled by modern rom-coms that present women as ditzy, rather shallow creatures whilst the men are neanderthals who have to be trained to meet women's requirements.
I completely agree about rom-coms and often say the same thing. But doesn't that contradict your previous point?! Hollywood romcoms are 'just fiction', and considered 'just entertaiment', but they in particular do have a significant impact on our culture and how we live. Obscure 80s European horror films far less so. But films do mean things whether it's Tarkovsky or a Fulci quickie or a godawful Hugh Grant creepfest!

Anyway, all this discussion has certainly motivated me to watch NYR! Though I think I might rent it rather than buying a copy

Last edited by TheOwlsAreNotWhatTheySeem; 16th June 2011 at 11:51 PM.