View Single Post
Old 24th June 2011, 08:20 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
Sorry Paul, but was REALLY hoping Tarantino was gonna go all spaghetti on our arses. my point was Hollywood keeps changing history to suit our politically correct times. The indigenous American Indians where denied historically truthful treatment in movies til the 60s. But even as I think about it, to me it's insulting to soften up history to make it cuddly and put bums on seats. In 'Valkyrie' Tom Cruise's Von Staffenberg is shown as acting against Hitler in part to help the jewish people, absolute tosh, he planted the bomb to enable a takeover by the military. But peeps had to be told he was helping the jewish people to make a Nazi sellable at the box office. As you may gather it's a real bugbear with me. Now where's my tablets.
I get your point and it's a valid one but Tarantino has never been one to embrace political correctness in his films either. Most of his films are about as far removed from reality as you can get and I'd imagine this offering will be no different. As for hoping this was going to be his "ultimate homage" to the spaghetti, that does remain to be seen but I can't see why it can't, even with and African-American slave as the central character.

There are very few contemporary filmmakers working in the mainstream whose films I anticipate as much as Tarantino's. Granted, they're not always masterpieces and can be sometimes over-indulgent (DEATH PROOF), but there's always a shot of brilliance in everything he makes.