View Single Post
Old 14th July 2011, 10:17 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I want to keep an open mind to this "remake" or whatever it will turn out to be. The first movie is an iconic movie in my back catalogue. It made a huge impression on me when I first saw it. Whilst I would have preferred a darker movie, Evil Dead 2 was a lot of fun, although I preferred the make-up effects in the original, to the plastic looking effects in 2.

What I would love to see in a new Evil Dead film is a return to the gross out, spookiness of the original; a push towards a more hardcore horror than Army of Darkness. The demon possessed make-up could do with being similar to the crusty cereal look of the first film.

I use The Evil Dead comic book adaptation as an example of how it could be done. anyone read it? It expanded a little on the first film without losing the atmosphere and story. We got narration from an older Ash, complete with that cynical sense of humour of his, but nothing too OTT like the one-liners in AOD. There were flashbacks to Ash's first high school meeting with Linda and his relationship with Scotty. All this had a more contemporary feel to it without losing the spirit of the movie.

*****COMIC BOOK SPOILERS!!!!!******
What was genius about this adaptation was the end. It all goes how you expect until the reader finds that it's all been a dream. Normally, I'd groan at this idea but what it does is pave the way for Evil Dead 2. Ash wakes in the car, with Linda driving and they find themselves at the cabin. So, the beginning of the Evil Dead 2 movie would have worked.