View Single Post
Old 15th July 2011, 08:36 PM
Cult Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Bibliomike

A first rate episode, although I think Serling should have relied less on the internal monologue/voiceover. Too much of a holdover from the radio play. I'm not sure how it could've been done differently, but surely a writer of Serling's calibre could have figured out how. But, as you mention, Tom, fantastic performances by all the actors involved. Even knowing the story, even having head the radio play, the episode remains really riveting.

I also liked how the opening lines of the episode "give away" the ending in plain sight -- "You're on the side of the angels," etc. I don't recall any of that in the radio play, another reason I think Serling could have done more with the source script then he actually did.

I disagree with your interpretation of the last line, though, Tom. I didn't hear any hint of malice in it. I thought he actually was acknowledging, even a little humorously, that Nan now understood the truth.

(Nice editing job on the "side-by-side" comparison of the phone call sequence -- thanks for going the extra mile to make that happen!)