View Single Post
Old 17th July 2011, 10:59 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Recently I've played through quite a few games -

Duke Nukem Forever - Well, it was never going to live up to expectations after so long, but I don't think anyone expected it to be quite so bad. Despite this however, I still really enjoyed it. Graphics are horrible in places, and the humour often falls flat, but something drew me in and kept me playing. There's some interesting level design, and driving sections break things up nicely.

Alice: Madness Returns - A nice spin on the classic story, and a really nice art style as well. It was fun to play a platformer with some old school sensibilities - lots of jumping around on actual platforms. It does drag on a bit towards the end, but it seems redundant complaining that it's too long when most games are way too short.

Shadows of the Damned - I wasn't going to play this originally because of the Resi style over the shoulder shooting. However, the ability to walk and shoot certainly helped things. Really loved the opening, and you can tell the developers went for a punk/grindhouse style feel to proceedings. Plenty of dick jokes too if you're into that sort of thing.

I've also gone back to Tony Hawks Project 8 and Smackdown 2011 to fill the time. Project 8 is one of the weakest entries in the series... well, until those games with the stupid board peripherals, but I always enjoy skateboarding games. I hadn't played it for about 3 years, but on picking it up I managed to finish some of the tasks I struggled with back then. Nice to know I still have the skills.
Smackdown 2011 is just awful. Absurd storyline, a rubbish backstage wandering bit between the matches in "road to wrestlemania", and the whole thing just feels slow. However, with a few friends battering each other in a hell in a cell match it isn't too shabby.