View Single Post
Old 20th July 2011, 01:47 PM
Cult Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Bibliomike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I thought that this was an excellent episode and it was I think the very first episode to feature a woman as the main star.
Maybe I'm wrong, but hadn't "The 16mm Shrine" already been broadcast at this point? All the same, I agree with your point: it is good to see a woman at the center, and this actress does an especially fine job.

Quote:
just how important do you think it was for women to be getting these sort of roles back in the 50s and 60s? I remember reading that the original incarnation of Star Trek would have had Majel Barratt as the second in command but after the pilot viewers thought a woman should be so high ranking and the role was changed to Spock. this sort of prejudice doesn't seem to have been so commonplace on the twilight zone, why might that be?
Interesting question, espeially since "The Cage" (the original Trek pilot that you reference) is still 4-5 years in the future at this point. I'm also a big, unrepentant Trekkie <g>, and have always contended that Majel Barrett probably did her best Trek work -- even including her years as Lwaxan Troi -- as "Number One." I do wish that character had been allowed to stay!