View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:53 PM
Cultist

Default Fail Safe fandom

I first discovered the twilight zone at a very young age, maybe around 9 or 10 in the early 90s. I had always been a sci fi fanatic since Ulysses 31 had exploded my 4 year old minds conception of the universe, the future and what ever I could make of reality.*

The twilight zone did the same to me at 9 years old and has continued to do so ever since. Tracking down VHS copies of a 1959 America program in the pre Internet era of a tiny province of the uk was not easy. But I did it. I remember discovering the (lesser but interesting) 1980s series beamed into my tv through the fuzzy signal of an odd welsh channel at 3am one night, which was an experience worthy of the twilight zone in itself.*

But what I love is the fact that before mad men, before the x files, before tv was respected as an intelligent medium that could provoke thought and inspire millions of individuals in a uniquely personal way, rod Serling got there first, at the very beginning he was there, a pioneer, changing perceptions and dogma than hadn't even arrived yet for millions of people over more that half a century. And still today, the twilight zone has the power to move me and challenge me and remains as fresh as ever.*

FAIL:SAFE.*

Last edited by fail:safe; 22nd July 2011 at 03:47 PM.