View Single Post
Old 27th July 2011, 09:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
Well said and i'm in agreement with you there.

The Deadites in Raimi's original were scary back in '83 and still shiver the spine now. Imo it's just the combination of palid facial complexions and those white Sclera lenses. Supremely and severly spooky!

I just don't see the need for CGI to replace what worked fine in the first place. If it 'ain't broken, don't fix it. I'm not totally impartial to the usage of PC power as long as it's on an 'as and when' basis and not just employed seemingly for the sake of it as so often appears to be the case with many modern Hollywood offerings. Imo old school FX, even when perfectly applicable and servicable simply aren't seen as 'in' enough by the studio powers that be and subsequently we end up being buried under an avalanche of CGI trickery instead. You can add 3D gimmickry into the mix nowadays too.

With the remake it'll be interesting to see if we get an initial look at the 'Wood Demon' this time around as we all know Raimi's first TED denied us this opportunity. Such an appearance came our way in the sequel and i believe many fans were disappointed by the physical debut of 'Rotten Apple Head' probably myself included. Such a potential occasion in the remake will probably be an instance when CGI FX comes into play more successfully and gives us something much more approvable to look at. But only time will tell i guess.
The best use of CGI is when you don't notice that you're looking at computer generated material. I'll loosely use Terminator Salvation as an example. Some of the CGI models look like actual physical models. I can't see a TED "remake" not using some somewhere. If i was a betting man, I'd guess that the filmmakers might use a CG black mist to illustrate the initial possession. (I'm not talking the heavy thick grey fog that is used in Supernatural). CG white eyes is a must to replace the painful sclera eyepieces.

As ED2 was low budget I didn't feel let down by the wood demon, although everytime I watch it I notice Bruce pull himself into the grip of the creature I felt more let down by the Evil Ed animatronic. The evil Ash make-up was good as Bruce has an interesting face for an FX person to work on.
I liked the fact that the Wood Demon was unseen, even if it looked and sounded like the cameraman was riding a motorbike.
Hopefully, it goes without saying that there must be NO CGI BLOOD!!!! If there is I will go kin mad