View Single Post
Old 31st July 2011, 10:09 AM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

Default Twilight Zone: The Movie

As our good friend Trouserpress said, we've never really talked about Twilight Zone:The Movie before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouserpress View Post
So does this thread include The Twilight Zone movie? I've never seen that, but am well aware of it due to the tragic accident on set in the Philippines. It would be great to see that get a decent release one day, with extras reflecting on what happened!
Strange as it may seem, I've never seen it in it's entirety. I've seen the beginning and the end, I've seen Nightmare at 50,000 Feet and It's a Good Life, but not Kick the Can or the controversial segment starring Vic Morrow.

I've always distanced myself from post Serling Zone a bit, but I'm gradually coming round to the idea seeing as I've enjoyed several episodes of the 80's show, so I will get to the movie soon.

Sadly I don't think we'll ever see a release like Trouserpress mentions above. I don't think anyone involved wants to re-open those old wounds. I have two books about the accident and the court case that followed. Here's a link to one of them. I'll be adding the other to the site in due course.

I haven't read these yet, but I have skimmed them. I'm certainly no expert on the case, but it if the book's sleeve notes are to be believed, then it's easy to see why nobody involved will want to go near this again.

"How could this tragedy occur? Was anyone to blame? Outrageous Conduct reveals the facts behind the accident, when skilled movie makers exceeded the bounds of safety; the anxiety when Hollywood closed ranks to protect its own; and the raucous and very public trial, when counter charges of “outrageous conduct” flew between the publicity-conscious district attorney and the furious film director John Landis."

Like you Trouserpress I would like to see an independent documentary about it. In my younger days I did watch the tragic footage. I have no taste for watching such things now, but those images still stick with me. It's horrifying watching Vic Morrow genuinley struggling with the scene, carrying those two kids - and then their lives are just snuffed out in an instant.

Sombre stuff, but I know a lot of people genuinley enjoy the movie. So if I haven't already soured the mood! Post your thoughts on Twilight Zone: The Movie here!