View Single Post
Old 2nd August 2011, 06:29 PM
Cult Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Bibliomike

It's a solid enough episode, but it doesn't really move me -- although there are some very lyrical passages from Serling, particularly that opening narration (and what a chilling quotation of "The Army Goes Rolling Along" in the underscore!).

I wish the episode had ended as the jeep was driving off -- the subsequent scene about "was that an explosion or thunder?" feels unnecessary to me. Ending it at "I doubt it" would, I think, be a far stronger choice.

At any rate, though, not bad -- just not too memorable, in my opinion. I think the wounded soldier's sudden death in the hospital doesn't elicit a strong enough reaction -- then again, as the orderly says, "They go real fast, sometimes, real fast." Strongest when considered as a tribute to the brave men (and, today, women) of the armed forces... surely every one of them is "something special." And, perhaps, a reminder that the strange light Fitzgerald sees is, in a sense, shining in all of our faces, since none of us will live forever. It's another entry into the Zone's freqent meditations on the nature and inevitability of death.

(Also, more trivially: nice to see Dick York in something other than 'Bewitched'! Really nice to hear about his work with the homeless -- I never knew about that.)

(And I suspect the "war stinks" line would have been something stronger had it been written today!)