View Single Post
Old 9th August 2011, 10:42 PM
Cultist in Training

Being a massive fan of the original, I can always understand why there's so much division about the second film with Horror fans. I think it's always important to remember however, how much Tobe Hooper got royally screwed over by Canon and I reckon the sequel gets unfairly looked upon, mainly due to how monumental the original is.

I think with part 2, if Hooper had been allowed to have his original screenplay, vision and edit untouched, then it might have been a very different kettle of chainsaws. Apart from the heavy censoring to Savini's FX (and I think what is left is outstanding, the Grandpa make up is excellent, perhaps just not as creepy as the first one), it's plainly obvious that the film was literally taken away from him and rewritten.

Yeah, he didn't want to repeat himself and for a film that didn't need a sequel but got one, making part 2 the same as the original would have been senseless so you can't blame him for trying something different. The humour in part 2 that is so heavily frowned upon, is not a surprise to me, the original has a definite heavy streak of black humour throughout to begin with. I think what Hooper did was take that and run with it but Canon just didn't see his vision and we're left with a bit of a messy sequel. I think they screwed him over with 'Lifeforce' too. Hooper really hasn't had an easy ride in his Career in Retrospect.

For all TCM 2's faults, it's undoubtedly hugely memorable and still has an important place in the horror timeline. I think the horror world would be a duller place had we been deprived of Dennis Hopper in a Chainsaw Duel.