View Single Post
Old 19th August 2011, 01:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
Splatterdragon, I have to ask because it's been intriguing me for while.

Why do you buy two copies of releases? Not double-dipping, but say, two copies of an Arrow BD or something?

Not a criticism, I'm just genuinely interested!
My double-buying actions tend to result in such intrigue and there's no doubt i bring such attention upon myself! Interest such as yours is never criticism to me. Merely an understandable enquiry. Simply a question and like all good questions, one such as yours deserves an answer.

I do think i've responded to such a query elsewhere on these forums but it's generally all about exclusivity (is there such a word?) to me together with more than a little touch of OCD (Obsessive Collector Disorder!) among other things.

I consider myself in a potentially similar mindset to fellow forum member Nos, in that it's just not enough to own one copy of a particular title (regardless of the DVD or BR label releasing it.) when there's exclusive packaging or bonus material evident. One copy is for my own viewing pleasure, the other is kept brand new for any possible collectable value. I stress i don't take this action with every single title yours truly buys, just the releases that i think may merit collectability or potential future value of some sort or another. Limited edition titles and Code Red DVDs (for instance i have two Nightmare DVDs.) are a good example. Once they're gone that's it so get 'em while you can! Sure, such expensive efforts cost me a bomb and if i screwed my head on a bit tighter the money yours truly would save from purchasing just one copy of a particular release could go towards buying a different title. You probably wouldn't believe how many backup DVDs i have stored away. Most of these going back years. BRs too but more or less just the Arrow range.

If the deservedly popular likes of Nucleus Films, Shameless and Arrow didn't bless us with highly buyable output replete with U.K. exclusive packaging and/or extras then i wouldn't be indulging in two copies of the above outfits titles. A single, solitary purchase would suffice for me.

I'm well aware i'm most probably wasting my hard earned cash where DVDs are concerned seeing as SD editions are seemingly worth less and less in the higher defined face of BR. But it's a chance i'll take as long as yours truly can afford it and if most or all of my spare DVD items amount to nothing in value in years to come then i'll gladly hold my hands up in admission of making many bad investments!

If i recall rightly, Nos once said i have "More money than sense." and i believe my good self answered he's most probably right. But yours truly wouldn't have it any other way and my dedication and devotion to making my movie collection only the best i can make it should hopefully not be doubted. Trust me, i'm more or less just like anybody else here when it comes to procuring my preferred genre output on DVD and BR. Only i tend to spend more excessively and recklessly than most if not all others! Yours truly buying two copies of his fave films is just another, most definitely OTT example of how (overly?) serious my collector sensibilities are.

I hope this response answers your question and meets with your approval. If not, please feel free to laugh at my (perhaps less than rational?) reasoning. Believe me, no offence taken my friend and i actually feel better for getting my opinions of my chest.

Last edited by Splatterdragon73; 20th August 2011 at 08:48 AM.