View Single Post
Old 14th September 2011, 06:57 AM
Cult Addict

Compared to the mpaa, the BBFC actually do a pretty good job. Where the Yanks are lucky is that they have a constitutionally protected right to the freedom of speech which means they can release films without mpaa ratings. Hence the wonderful uncut special editions we have been importing all these years. Plus, I suspect if you killed a bunch of people in america and tried to blame violent horror movies the excuse wouldent wash, and you would still be held accountable for your actions. (though the recent hysteria over videogames is leading me to change that opinion.)

The bbfc today isnt all that bad, though I suspect my view is based on growing up through james fermans dictatorial reign, which was a pretty awful time by all accounts. The exorcist and texas chainsaw massacre were banned because Ferman decided he knew better than psychiatrists, sociologists and his own board who would have had no problems passing these films uncut.... hell theres probably hundreds of horror stories regarding mr ferman.