View Single Post
Old 19th September 2011, 04:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

What Have They Done to your Daughters?

Very cool! A solid polizio/giallo, with a killer score by Stelvio Cipriani. I liked how the more sexual elements of the plot were dealt with a refreshing level of maturity and intelligence, and didn’t come across as tacked-on sleaze. Giovanna Ralli and Claudio Cassinelli give strong lead performances, the latter successfully playing the ‘rogue cop against the system’ cliché. Biggest surprise in the opening credits was that of bland Hitchcock leading man Farley Granger (!), though his role amounted to little more than a cameo. A central chase sequence delivered the goods in terms of action, along with some very effective stalk n’ slash style moments in the second half. The only major negative I would say is the ending, with an ‘is that it?!’ final action scene, and a very unsatisfying open-ended plot resolution. But definitely a highlight on my Giallo journey – look forward to seeking out the director’s What Have They Done to Solange? (...and maybe finish the trilogy with Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? ).