View Single Post
Old 27th September 2011, 03:42 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggenhagen View Post
Strange one for me this. I'm a big fan of old VHS sleeves and grubby grindhouse style artwork and used to love collecting old weird looking tapes based on the covers (which often turned out to be terrible!)

I find now that I'm older I care less and less about the artwork and more about the quality of disc etc. While it's nice, and preferable, to have blurays and DVDs nicely packaged I can help but feel that it's the least important aspect of them - I don't display them for presentation and I don't pull them out and sit and marvel at the boxes... I take out the disc, watch it, then chuck it back on the shelf. Great sleeves are just a bonus really.
I pretty much fall into this camp too. Saying that, good covers are nice to have, and a bad cover will certainly put me off a blind buy/impulse purchase.

When all is said and done, it's the quality of the presentation on the film that matters to me. I don't display my BDs/DVDs as such, they sit on a shelf and all you can see is the spine. And, again, this isn't to say I don't appreciate good artwork, I do. But I have neither the time, inclination nor space to display my collection, as such. A film arrives, it comes out the case, I watch it, back in the case it goes, and it's assigned to the next available space on the shelf. It's no more complicated than that for me.

That said, I do understand that some people are passionate about the artwork and general packaging of their DVDs/BDs and that's cool as well. DVD and BD marketers need to cater to both camps really. Good artwork and a superb presentation of the content on the disc.